Woodshop Committee Members, Important

WIBNI. is more for unpaid volunteer work.

Scope creep is a great way to extract more funds when your getting paid, though.

Only if the PM isnā€™t stupid and thinks their clients has somehow earned free workā€¦

1 Like

Nope, learned during my time at KHA that getting client excited about something out of scope was the best way to get a highly profitable change order.

Best skill I ever learned there. Well that and taking advantage of newly minted college graduatesā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And I appreciated (truly and no smarta&&elicy meant either), when you were pitching me on your jig. You almost had me with the jig on the upgrade to the drill holes to steel bushings. But you backed off. All you had to say was, ā€œIf I upgrade the aluminum drill holes with steel bushings, do,we have a deal?ā€. I would have bitten. :wink:

1 Like

I only scanned the last half of the thread, so someone may have mentioned it already:

1. Can we set the machines up so that if a saw / sander / etc. starts, it automatically starts the dust collector?
  2. Can we set up a shutoff so that if the dust collector is full the saws can be locked out automatically?

-Ian

(edited for atrocious grammar)

1 Like

One more important point that needs to be said over and over again. If you see someone leaving a mess, stop them and ask them to clean it. Itā€™s YOUR workshop. If you want to keep it then donā€™t hesitate to speak up. Telling someone else about it after the offender is gone isnā€™t soon enough. Just simply ask them to thoroughly clean the area they were using.

7 Likes

spot on. and it is more than just cleaning. we have two stools in the machine shop. Itā€™s amazing how many times it is left in the middle of the aisle where technically can be considered a hazard. I see dozens of people walk by or around it rather than simply moving it out of the way. Iā€™m thinking of getting rid of those.

1 Like

I have a funny story to tell that happened when I was fairly new. Iā€™ve mentioned it before, but thought this might be a good time as well.

I was in the metal shop a few months back and there was another member that had been welding and was cleaning up prior to leaving. I came in to use the plasmacam. The room was a little hazy from whatever, probably from the welding. I was at the plasmacam computer laying out my dxf for cutting. While doing it a more youthful member who I had seen quite often came in acting like a boss and looked around and mentioned it was hazy and that why wasnā€™t the plasmacam exhaust on? Mind you, I had not used it yet. He then looked at me and asked in a snarky manner, that the plasmacam exhaust needed to be on to the clear the room. I then, half listenng to him, looked up and thought, ā€œyou talkinā€™ taā€™ meā€? We looked at each other for that awkward 3 secs or so and then I told him, if you want the exhaust on there is the switch pointing at it. He then looked at me again like I was the aā€™hole while all the time I thought he was being an aā€™hole. He then turned around and walked out. Definitely came in with an air righteousness and bossiness.

Now mind you, I had recently taken the plasmacam training and was told to spool up the fan prior to the machine cutting and then when done, turn the fan off. My typical procedure is to layout the dxf and get it ready to go, then turn on the exhaust and fire up the machine and place the metal on the cutting bed.

In this situation, he was trying to be helpful and his solution for the room was to have the exhaust fan on as itā€™s the only egress to the outside for exhaust. But his attitude and assumptions were way off. If he had been a little more aggressive and escalated the situation, there would have been a member complaint filed. (When I was much dumber and younger, I would have attempted to bait him into a ā€˜pissingā€™ contest).

With me in that situation, this youngerish well meaning member could have asked a few questions to understand the situation better before throwing his weight around. Rarely if ever, does that succeed on any level. His heart was in the fight place but his maturity and approach needed a little work.

The moral of the story is ā€¦

5 Likes

ummmā€¦You donā€™t mess with the Zohan Owen?

3 Likes

Ummmmmm, okā€¦I guess

Freudian typo? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice catch ā€¦ that is much more descriptive ā€¦I wonā€™t fix :nerd_face:

EDIT: I use an iPad exclusively, so with the hunt and peck no matter how many times I try to correct my spelling and syntax errors, I always seem to miss some. :wink:

2 Likes

Ok. Still no Committee meeting, still no Work day scheduled.

Weā€™re not going to let slow motion here close DMS folks. So on the Board agenda it goes for action.

6 Likes

I cannot control others but I can INFLUENCE others, and control myself. Each time I use the woodshop I intend to do some form of cleanup FIRST, before I begin working. I already do this to an extent. I told John K a few years ago that one way to get users to clean up is to informally require this pre-cleanup. Doubtful if anyone has heard me gripe about cleaning for othersā€¦but the griping is certainly justified. And increasingly necessary. If there were an informal code of conduct taught in the basics class that a user do some minimal shop maintenance before working, even putting up a single tool, then the cumulative effort would make a dent even with 50% compliance. And users already in the shop would see those beginning work doing this or not. Then the Hawthorne effect would take over.

4 Likes

Not sure why there has to be a formal committee meeting under threat of Board interventionā€¦ if you follow the threads posted here or walk through the shop youā€™ll see that maintenance has been done, dust cleaning enforcement has ramped up, and the shop itself has been generally cleaner than ever.

2 Likes

So I was in the shop cleaning this morning, and here is what I noticed in regards to the original list posted

While in use covers with self-locking tabs are in most outlets, with one or two needed that Iā€™m showing Andrew today. I vacuumed out the ones in placed and closed them. A few cannot close because of the size of the plugs in the outlet. Again, I will show Andrew.

I vacuumed out many of the machines between Monday and today. The dust collection hose was off the the Delta table saw, but I installed it back on. It also needs a new piece of stripping for the access door to prevent dust from blowing out of the machine.

I didnā€™t see anywhere with twistlocks to tape, but Iā€™ll ask Andrew if he knows of any.

Sprinkler heads need to be baggied and cleaned.

So I helped replace the ceiling tiles right after the FM came, but 3 right above the router table need replacing again due to the something leaking on to them.

Iā€™m in the shop right now if anyone can help me with the items Iā€™ve mentioned above.

9 Likes

Can you send me a count of the number of while-in-use covers we need, and what size outlet they will cover (and voltage - either 120 or 208), and a count on the number of cords that need 90 degree plugs installed, and what kind of plugs? (example, 6 3-prong 120V plugs), etc.

This would be a big help, and we can get this ordered and in the shop quickly.

Thanks for stepping up!

5 Likes

Iā€™ll be there about 1:15 or 1:30 and happy to help. I canā€™t stay too long, but I planned to do some extra cleaning while there.

2 Likes

Just so you know chuck and Andrew are working on this, I talked to them on Monday and they had all the plugs required and all of the covers required. Two have been converted with two remaining.

5 Likes

A better option would have been
Its hazy in here, do you mind if I turn the Plasma Cam exhaust farn on?

1 Like