Woodshop Committee Members, Important

Perhaps we should have a loudspeaker that actively reminds you "while in woodshop, please clean up after yourself before leaving or you will be unable to use the woodshop for 2 weeks. " or maybe have it remind you while your swiping into the room to remember to clean up after your self.

I don’t use the woodshop but I think that making people retake woodshop basics for failing to clean up would be a great idea that could also be used in other committees.

1 Like

We aparently already have a backlog of new members waiting to get into the woodshop. I’d think twice about filling our limited classes up with old members that need re-education.

2 Likes

Based on the happenings in the “You have been logged” thread why don’t we come up with a community service type system. If you leave an area dirty, the chair assigns a certain # of hours of cleanup required before you can gain your full rights back. Obviously this creates extra work for the chair and enforcement is hard, but instead of a ban, get the desired result by requiring an hour or two of cleaning. Maybe you have 30 days to complete 2-3 hours of cleaning, and you have full access during that time, but if you don’t complete the cleaning then you have a week suspension. Obviously this is after any warnings.
Just another idea.

4 Likes

Hello all, I’ll chime in here with just a couple observations.
I saw it mentioned in an earlier post that reactivating the audible alarm on the dust collectors may be in the works…Excellent Idea! I don’t think people realize that these can be cleaned on Monday and then need it again ( a full cleaning bin & filter) the very next day in some cases. People can ‘pretend’ not to notice the pressure gauges maxed out - but it’s a little harder to ignore the 'Submarine Emergency Surface Sirens!

We may need a quicker way to identify and report messes left behind, so that the users can be identified via the surveillance cameras. The old See Something, Say Something approach.

It’s one thing for those of us who are ‘Keep It Clean’ conscious to have to do extra work - it’s quite another for us all to risk potentially losing the woodshop, because of the lack of actions of others.

1 Like

I didn’t read the whole thread. But there are a few extra vent gates that are unused on the dust system. Could we make attachments to turn them into vacuum hoses for cleaning tools? That way there’s no sparking of the motors from shop vacs

3 Likes

This is from someone who wishes they could use the woodshop

Likely it is either silly or not workable, Is there a way to have the dust
collection system cut the power to the tools in the room if it is not attened to withing
a reasonable time?

2 Likes

Not silly at all, there are a few systems out there that will turn on the DC when you turn on a tool. the downside of this is that the motors aren’t designed for that many starts. We likely need a collector that runs continuously.

Whoops, you were talking about the converse… that would be interesting. @wandrson can your device control an SSR and kick the disconnect at the panel? :imp:

1 Like

There is the possibility that power could be disconnected at the control panel; however, for this go around there will be a god awful LOUD siren that will go off until a member badges in and accepts responsibility for getting the dust bin emptied.

3 Likes

But with proper hearing protection for the Woodshop, it’s just an annoying tweet…

By the way, I think this idea is awesome, whether workable or not…

Yes, I do too; however, it wasn’t what I was requested to put in AND @Azalaket has some concerns about how it could affect the equipment.

In any case, I do not do WIBNI development. So no specification changes, until this version is tested, installed, and operational.

1 Like

I’m with you, man. Dreams kill projects when not kept in check. Ask me how I know…

BTW folks, we could always convert to a proper wood shop like this

and we wouldn’t have to worry any more. Shavings are so much easier (and less flamable) to clean up.

2 Likes

I read a couple of replies and although I understand the frustration by those who follow the rules, I don’t completely agree about some of the suggestions.

1- Yes, it’s a community and as such everyone should do their part to an extent. (cleaning and putting away tools after use and cleaning the area) I’ve used the Woodshop a couple of times and I cleaned up after using the equipment like everyone else.
However, it’s unjustifiable to ask of everyone to do major clean-up maintenance when MS is aware of who the frequent users are. They should be the ones emptying the dust collectors and tasked with major clean-up tasks.
2- Bannig people should be the last recourse if a user continues to disregards the woodshop rules.
3- People’s safety should be the number ONE priority. Yes, equipment is expensive and our membership is there to help pay for it and it’s maintenance.
I don’t own a woodshop but I would like to think we are taking every measure to make our MS shop compliant in every sense. I’m talking about air quality, floor surfaces, equipment layout which takes into consideration clearances both to use the equipment and for circulation.

These are my thoughts on this topic… I hope they’re not taken the wrong way.

I don’t think anyone was suggesting requiring everyone to do deep cleaning. I know my suggestion on mandatory deep cleaning times was having the shop closed for an hour or two for deep cleaning, but it would be voluntary on who shows up to do the cleaning. It would likely end up being the ones who use it the most or care the most.
I do think anyone who uses the shop should be responsible for emptying a dust collection bin, it takes 5 minutes and is not deep cleaning but the most basic of tasks. If the bins were emptied as a standard practice 2-3 times a day even when only half full, we would prevent the issues caused when they back up.

3 Likes

I see a lot of talking. I don’t see a meeting or workday scheduled.

This matter affects the entire Makerspace here folks. If we fail to address his concerns, and quickly, he will shut down DMS. If Woodshop doesn’t get serious, and I mean right now, the matter will be placed on the agenda Friday for action.

4 Likes

Safety is the greatest issue. Good idea to post instructions, PM schedules, etc. I’ll be in this afternoon to work and help with maintenance. Need to learn more about cleaning the dust collectors. Andrew, let me know what I can do to help.

What is WIBNI? I would like to follow the thread, but don’t have a clue on this.

1 Like

Wouldn’t It Be Nice If

Also known as

Scope creep.

3 Likes

Thanks. Been there, didn’t know the acronym.

1 Like