Woodshop Committee Members, Important

As you probably know, the Fire Marshall took great exception to the various issues in the Woodshop. Copious amounts of dust everywhere, air thick with particulate, uncovered receptacles, poorly serviced dust collectors, were the main complaints.

The pargest problem was a broken plenum on the main dust collector, and this has now been fixed, the filter cleaned well, and the machine thoroughly cleaned and serviced.

Seems the collector, was bypassing the filter, and blowing fine particulate dust into the atmosphere of the shop itself. While fixing it, we found this:

Dust fire inside a 220V receptacle. It burned all the way through, and melted the plastic housing.

One person cannot maintain the woodshop. We need the Committee to come together, and do whatever is necessary to clean up, and to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

Needed:

1. Remove all dust and wood chips, everywhere in the shop, including inside the tools. Use a vacuum, not compressed air.
  2. Clean and vacuum all receptacles (again, no compressed air)
  3. Secure all while-in-use receptacle covers closed with zip ties .
  4. Tape all twistlocks, to prevent dust intrusion
  5. Install While-in-use covers on each and every receptacle without exception.
  6. Ensure tools are only used with dust collector running
  7. Ensure members clean up after themselves
  8. All sprinkler heads LIGHTLY cleaned, and covered with a baggie, zip-tied in place.
  9. All ceiling tiles in good repair (think this is done)
  10. All equipment, wood, etc. off the floor so that it can be swept and kept clean.

Really need you folks to give this your best shot and all-out effort here. The shop is about 2mm from being closed down by the Marshall.

12 Likes

That burned socket validates his concerns and his findings. It’s not theoretical any more.

12 Likes

This has been a known and growing problem since I joined. It is intensified by each new woodshop basics class.

Saying this one more time is not going to help. Requiring action, and requiring the woodshop chairperson to see that action is taken, maybe just might.

Here is one of several simple, effective actions – for which the will still does not exist to see done – to resolve some of these issues in short order that would be part of an overall solution: anytime any dust making tool is in operation in the woodshop without effective dust control in use the operator is immediately suspended from the woodshop for an appropriate period of time.

Simple. Effective. But…

4 Likes

Are there copious fire extinguishers in the woodshop?

2 Likes

Pulled this out of the SawStop collector hose this morning. People just don’t give a flying fuck.

Edit: the really long one was my poking stick to break up impacted dust clogs, that didn’t come from inside the hose.

4 Likes

Question is; How do you get someone or multiple someone’s that don’t give a flying f&$#k, to give a flying f#&k?

I don’t think you can. It’s a character and personality issue. I’ve seen committee Members and heavy well known users that help a lot leave the shop a mess. Are we willing to confront them?

2 Likes

Banhammer. It’s a safety issue, not just an issue of being considerate.

3 Likes

In the words of the infamous @jast; “Roll Footage, Commence Bootage”

1 Like

The committee chair has the power to ban members from committee areas.

I would be happy to come spend a few hours tomorrow, Tuesday morning, or Wednesday helping with projects to address these issues. Will someone be there to help direct me in what I can do to help?

7 Likes

Brian is saying everything needs to be cleaned. All dust anywhere. That’s just normal moving stuff and cleaning (in addition to all the specialized stuff he outlined).

Checking tools and ducts for clogs (requires a stick, a screwdriver, a vacuum, and patience) has a low barrier to entry.

Every tool on the floor probably needs to be deep cleaned once a week at a minimum. This can generally be done without a wrench/tool (except for a vacuum and a poking stick), so it’s hard to mess stuff up. This requires some knowledge of the tool, but is also a good learning experience.

1 Like

Sounds like there maybe a need for a once a month class on cleaning the machinery.

2 Likes

That presumes we are lucky enough that it is a fire, not an explosion. Look up grain silo explosions. Even some pretty safe sounding places like (If memory serves correctly) a breakfast cereal factory have gone sky high from airborne organic particulate suddenly combusting.

1 Like

Especially considering the number of metal shopvacs in the Woodshop with no static dissipation. One shocked the shit out of me today. People buying whatever is on the shelf at Home Depot instead of stuff for it’s intended purpose.

1 Like

I’ve even wondered if the Oneida cyclones and plastic hoses on the shop vacs should be better protected.

1 Like

The dust collectors themselves are (or at least are designed and intended to be) grounded. There are clips for the filters and whatnot. There are non-static plastics and static free hoses made for vacuuming combustible dusts. Festool units (among others) are design to dissipate static. Here is an article specifically about the Oneida cycles on the festool vacuum units: https://www.oneida-air.com/static.asp?htmltemplate=static/ultimate-dust-deputy-and-festool.html

1 Like

Various manufacturers make waterproof/dustproof plugs and receptacles. If DMS is interested in buying them for the woodshop, I would be willing to work on replacing the existing with the dustproof ones (now that I have transportation and can get to DMS more easily). That would eliminate that part of the problem.
Sorry, I don’t have any quick fix for failure to clean after oneself. We had methods to retrain people on this in the military, but I doubt we could get away with it here.

4 Likes

It’s really way more than that, although what you suggest would be a part of it. Not everyone (in fact most) don’t have your great, helpful, can-do, give-back perspective, Tim. It is a culture problem, or lack thereof; a leadership problem, or lack thereof; and a management problem, or…wait for it…lack thereof.

Over my time here, encompassing 3 different BoDs and 4 different chairpersons, the Woodshop has become what is best described as the kids from the island from the “Lord of the Flies” meet the fraternity from “Animal House”. The good news is the solutions are straight-forward, as they always are when it comes to un-spoiling spoiled children.

The bad news is, as it always is when it comes to un-spoiling spoiled children, the discipline and will to back required actions/solutions are lacking.

Out of curiosity, if the woodshop gets closed down by FM, what are the implications to DMS as a whole? Wait, never mind…there’s a pile of sand over there with a head shaped hole I am going to take a closer look at.

3 Likes

@mblatz you are right. It is a culture issue.

I’m always impressed when a woodshop member empties the dust collectors, and gets another person to help. I am seeing this more and more often.

@IanLee does a great job in his woodshop basics class, having everyone help clean up and empty the trash cans.

Banning is the last resort. It may work with one offender, but hurts the community spirit.

Rather, we should encourage and teach care. Many of you already model it.

@Owen_Soccer22 yes please, talk to people when you are concerned. I do. Play the role of a teacher, not a Marshall. Most just don’t know/don’t think of it.

1 Like

Not looking for a pat on the back but I’ve emptied the dust collectors 3-4 times and I rarely use the wood shop. You have to be an ass to ignore the flashing light yet keep cutting like nothing happened. Once I even had a problem getting someone to stop sawing while I was dumping the barrel. Come on people, put in 10-15 minutes to keep the shop safe and working. The eventual outcome is NO Shop.

11 Likes