Woodshop Committee Meeting Notes 08/15/18

1. Attendees: Andrew Zalaket, Mark Salas, Nate Kirkland, Bill, Gonch, Ryan, Kris Anderson (don’t know all last names)

2. Table saw sleds are being rebuilt (redesigned by Keeping). They will be made of 1/2 in birch to make them lighter, also they’ll be less wide for ease of use. A rail system will be on the bottom that fits directly into the table saw.

Table saw blade storage units were made by Andrew Z. The blades set into a recessed plank and held in place by a magnet. Helps with the safety issue of having blades just sitting in a drawer.

Projects in progress:
Rebuild the incra router table enclosure (Mark and Nate)
Box joint jig (Mark)
Jointer and planer maintenance (Mark, Nate, Ryan)

1. Tools:
    New festool orbital sander and dust collection system came in.
    The skilsaw table saw and stand purchased for pressure treated wood and pine arrived.
    Discussed the possibility of purchasing a panel saw, tabled until after the expansion.
    Check if live centers we’re ordered for Lathes (Nate)

Dust collection:
Still expecting Felder rl350 on September.

Expansion:
Woodshop was allocated 3400 sq ft
Rough machine layout seemed good (@Azalaket can you post the image of that please?)
Start planning now for the possibility of a short shutdown of the shop during the expansion. Doesn’t mean it will happen but the more people available to help with the move the better.

Committee Structure
Chairman - Andrew Zalaket
Vice Chairman - Chris Ghaly
CNC SIG - Kee Fedak
Lathe SIG - Jeff Courtman
Expansion SIG - Mark Salas

Classes:
Woodshop 101 Squaring a board (120 mins)
Covers dust collection, miter saw, jointer, planer and table saw
Woodshop 102 cut, drill and finish (push sticks)
Covers band saws, drill press, all sanders and router table. (Popular class)
Woodshop 103 intro to routers
Covers trim, plunge and incra table router
Woodshop 104 intro to powered hand tools
Covers festool domino & XL, Track saw and sanders.
Woodshop 105 cutting board class
Woodshop 106 small box class
Woodshop 107 display shelf case

Turning classes:
Woodshop 201 lathe basics
Woodshop 202 pen making
Woodshop 203 pepper mill
Woodshop 204 spinning tops

CNC Router classes
Woodshop 301 intro to CNC router
Woodshop 302 Advanced CNC
Woodshop 303 3D on CNC
BANNING OF YSP DISCUSSION:
The use of YSP in the shop was discussed. It causes damage to machines like the planer and jointer due to sap build up and can even mess with said machines if they are used one time and sap pockets are hit. The use of YSP on sanders also degrades sandpaper much quicker than other wood types. It was brought up that there are a number of businesses that deal in wood and other maker spaces that have a rule stating no YSP allowed or they have specific machines for the use of YSP. Also discussed was the fact that fir is equivalent in price and usability in place of pine. Due to this discussion a vote was held to ban the use of YSP except on the table saw that was purchased for pressure treated wood. The vote passed unanimously.

Closing:
Monthly meeting and shop maintenance planned for every 2nd Wednesday of the month in the evening.

EDIT: I apologise for my failure to add the discussion and banning of YSP in the meeting notes. Like an ass I assumed that the link to the already existing discussion on the ban where it has been stated what was discussed and the reasoning behind it was good enough.

MODERATOR NOTE: There is extensive discussion of the pine ban on this other thread initiated by @talkers.

3 Likes

Thanks @Nate!

Missing is the ruling on banning Southern Yellow Pine from the general stationary power tools. Now, along with pressure treated lumber, SY Pine can only be cut on the new portable Skilsaw table saw. ?

Question: The concern is a build up of sap residue on the blades. If i bring my own blade, can I use SYPine on the other table saws and Miter Saw?

1 Like

I would point you to your thread requestong the minute as it is mostly about the ban. Or if @Azalaket or @Mrksls2 would like to elaborate, I’d appreciate it

Edited my comment to point to that thread. Kept the main point here for completeness of the minutes.

1 Like

Is the monthly cleaning (2nd Wed of the month) going to be added to the calendar? I want to make sure I know what time and sign up for it.

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread but when we are considering the new space we should invest time to design and make good work tables specifically for woodshop.

I’m thinking something basic and cost effective that has removable plywood or MDF tops that we can easily replace. Tops will have 3/4" dog holes for clamping and holds. Doesn’t need to be like a hefty work bench, just better work tops that we don’t have to mess with planing we can just unscrew the tops and throw new ones one.

1 Like