Woodshop Committee Meeting: 8/29 3pm, Interactive Classroom (NEW DATE)

Google Meet Link: https://meet.google.com/epx-zhkt-wts

We will do some shop clean-up after the committee meeting.

Agenda for Woodshop Meeting 8/15/2020 3:00pm

NEW MEETING TIME: 8/29/2020

• Discussion

• Review tool maintenance and rules sheets that were made over the last month
  • Open Issues

• Vice Chairs Needed
    • Education
      • Use rules sheets we developed this month to create 20-50 questions for an online quiz for each tool.
    • Maintenance
      • How do we want to tackle this? Adopt a machine?
  • Projects

• Woodshop Instructor Identification
    • Maintenance Schedule (Addressed during today’s discussion)
    • Online Education (Addressed during today’s discussion)
    • RFID prototypes (Parked)
    • Expansion (Parked)
  • Open Forum

• Reminders / announcements:

• Storage: There is no personal / project storage in the woodshop / Annex.
    • We are working to establish a par level for all materials using a visual inventory system. If you see that something needs to be replenished, message team woodshop.
    • Please do not spray raw iron machines. Spray a towel and use the damp towel to clean electronic switches and the handles that you touched. That is the only cleaning that should be required on our machines.
1 Like

Reminder to the following people that I need your tool maintence and rules documents so I can put them together for this meeting.

3 Likes

What is preferred file format for tool maintenance?
Do we have a template so all the machines can follow a similar format?
On the jointer knife inserts there is no torque spec in the manual that I could find, it just says firmly tighten them. Also no torque spec for the motor or drive pulleys.
Will this info go in the machine wiki or a clipboard or laminated sheet stuck to the machine?
Thanks
Randy

Randy,

Not sure if you’ve seen this document that Dan Wolf put together back in the spring. It’s pretty comprehensive.
DMS_Maint_Schedule_2020_03_02.xlsx (107.3 KB)

I’m thinking we don’t need to worry too much about the format. We’re in the data gathering stage. The next step will be to decide what goes on the wiki and what goes on the machine, then we’ll come up with a standard look and feel for the documents.

1 Like

I added some things to the jointer section.

DMS_Maint_Schedule_2020_03_02 Rev 08 05.xlsx (125.3 KB)

1 Like

I need to move this meeting, due to a family emergency I will be in Colorado this weekend.

I’ll work to get the composite rules and maintenance guides out early next week so we can discuss those online before the meeting.

New meeting date: Aug 29 3pm

I apologize for the last minute change.

4 Likes

Still working on the table saw part…

Just a reminder that this Saturday there will be a Woodshop Meeting.

We will be working on the Felder dust collector after the meeting. The filters need a deep cleaning. Food will be provided. The woodshop will be closed during the duration of this cleaning as none of the power tools can be used while the Felder is out of commission.

The main focus of the meeting will be creating a complete ruleset for all the power tools. The collected rules that have been sent to me for all the tools can be found here. Please comment on this before the meeting. If you can think of any other rules that need to be mentioned or changed please let me know.

Big thanks to Tom @TSki for sharing the wood shop manual he’s been working on.

Another big thanks for Dan @dwolf for sharing his maintenance document.

Both of these are works in progress that we can finish out.

3 Likes

What about resawing on the table saw? That requires the removal of the riving knife.

Why no thin-kerf blades?

1 Like

Resawing - are you asking if it’s allowed? I believe it is. I added it as an example of an instance where removal of the riving knife is allowed.

I was told that thin kerf blades were not allowed because of their inherent dangers (overheating / warping / more easily causing kickback)

The riving knife should not be higher than the saw blade [at least on the SawStop - it moves with the blade height adjustment]. So you should be able to resaw with the riving knife installed [I assume you are having to make a cut and then flip the lumber over to cut all the way through].

The only time I can think of taking the riving knife off is when you are using the Dado Blades or using the table saw to make cove cuts [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKu-kWjd4mY].

The knife on the powermatic is actually a splitter- it doesn’t move up/ down with the blade height.

I think that the riving knife on the saw stop is slightly higher than the blade also but we should check that.

Resawing on the Saw Stop cannot be done without removing the riving knife. The knife sticks out above the blade. I have found this to be true, here at DMS and at the last shop I was at.

The riving knife on the Powermatic sits way to high for resawing.

In my use of thin kerf blades I have found that it may over heat if you are attempting to cut through a 8/4 piece of wood and not making multiple passes. This I have found to true with full kerf blades as well. I will say that I have yet to experience any warping of my thin kerf blade. I have not heard that they could cause kickback any more so than full kerf blades.

2 Likes

You may be right that our Saw Stop can no longer re-saw due to riving knife height issues, but it used to be able to with knife in place (I’ve done it) and I think in general it is a straight-forward procedure on the s/s:

Also I think I’ve seen a shorter splitter piece for the Powermatic sitting around or in various drawers n occasion…maybe my imagination? It still limits the height, but at least it’s shorter. And this aftermarket safety package from Sharkguard (~$300) comes with three different splitter heights and a ratcheting handle is provided to replace the OEM splitter mounting bolt (just say no to pliers!!):

3 Likes

Is there any reason you can’t use the bandsaw for resawing? The blade on the Laguna is designed for that.

To join the video meeting, click this link: https://meet.google.com/irw-ughf-fro
Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 860-631-3490 and enter this PIN: 663 542 452#
To view more phone numbers, click this link: https://tel.meet/irw-ughf-fro?hs=5