Woodshop Committee Meeting: 7/12 1pm, Interactive Classroom

Minutes and meeting notes posted on Wiki

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Woodshop_Committee_Meeting_20200712

Action item for those present:

Lets develop a standardized rule set for each tool that will be voted on and accepted by the committee. Let’s also develop a standardized PM schedule for every machine. To that end, members of the committee volunteered to take one free standing tool, read the manual, watch some safety videos, and develop a list of rules and a maintenance schedule for each machine. Include DMS specific rules where applicable, and if possible, include a link to a good educational safety video for your tool. These need to be submitted to Ian Lee before the next meeting. Dan Wolf has started this process for maintenance, that document will be posted on talk. Assignments are below:

4 Likes

Dan Wolf’s Maintenance Schedule:
DMS_Maint_Schedule_2020_03_02.xlsx (49.6 KB)

David, I don’t know his last name is doing the conveyor sander.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for documenting the last meeting. I joined DMS right after and been working from the woodshop for the past few weeks. I’m still learning a lot specially about how the committee is running the space and all the rules. after reading the notes from the last meeting I feel much more informed into what is currently happening.

I’m looking forward to hear more about the plans for training. probably every newbie asks this question but, who/how shall new members put in a request for training? I know instructors are volunteer, I just thought I would ask.

I’ll be happy to get more involved with workshop maintenance. Yesterday I derusted some of the tools surfaces as instructed, scrapped glue out of the outside workbenches, and sharpen the one chisel that’s left. But I’m sure my efforts can be put to better use if directed by the committee addressing the areas that actually need more attention.

I love the idea of creating rules list and safety video links for the different tools. I found it a great way to get more confident with some of the tools or even specific tool models.

for instance, I’ve found this video very useful as an overview of the Festool Mitersaw. @mblatz

and as a final note, might I ask when the next committee meeting is? I assume it’s once a month on the same date and time, but I have not found it on the events calendar like most other committees.

Thank you all and see you soon

2 Likes

It should get posted to the calendar, too, but according to the wiki (which we will need to update if @IanLee has other plans, as the chair-elect) the last Thursday of each month for the committee meeting

Thanks @jast I missed that on the wiki, So that means that this month’s meeting is tomorrow, Jul 30th?

I will like to be there if that’s the case. @IanLee is can you confirm please. when does it start?

Thanks again!

@tomasdms

Thanks for joining and immediately stepping up to help! It takes a lot of work to keep the shop in order and having willing members is so important.

There is not a meeting tomorrow, we had one at the beginning of the month. I’m looking at the next meeting being on Aug 15.

The Wiki desperately needs to be updated, and the Thursday mention is definitely one of those items. We typically meet on a Saturday so there’s a few hours after the meeting to do some clean up / shop maintenance.

If you’re looking for something to do over the next few weeks until we meet again, besides generally keeping the shop clean, I’m looking for someone willing to take on the Planer training/ maintenance requirements. Go through the manual, put together a PM schedule, list of safety rules and DMS specific rules and send those to me.

We are collating all the rules and schedules for all the machines so we can develop a standardized maintenance schedule and online training for the tools, but we need to have the documents to do that first.

Thanks!

1 Like

Speaking of which, So far I have received notes from Patrick T and M Blatz. Can everyone else try to have theirs to me by Aug 7?

• Lathes - Paul LaChance, John White @prl2018
  • MultiCam - Jim Lancaster @bbchops
  • Sanders - Patrick Thompson
  • Table saws - Patrick O’Lone @pjolone1
  • Miter Saw - M. Blatz @mblatz
  • Band Saws - Jim Lancaster @bbchops
  • Jointer - Randy Lisbona @rlisbona
  • Planer - Looking for volunteer
  • Drill Press- Nadia Hannon @Popcorn
2 Likes

Should not be a problem, just need to do it.

1 Like

I’ll circulate a template form of document I provided @IanLee by this evening. It’s not a required format, so feel free to use it or bin it as you think best.

1 Like

@alyssalee those all look delicious! Would you be willing to share your Spicy chocolate Zucchini muffin recipe?

@ianlee - I’d join Woodshop just for the cookies! Disappointed that I missed the last meeting; but, already have August’s on my calendar!

1 Like

I can volunteer to do this. I’ll have it ready by Aug 7th. But i’m sure my version will need expert supervision.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the manual for the planner in question?

and @mblatz by all means please share that template form with me as well.

2 Likes

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Tools#Woodshop
Powermatic 209HH

2 Likes

Of course! Link here: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6698/moms-zucchini-bread/

I usually use mini chocolate chips instead of walnuts, put the batter in muffin tins, and just cook for a little less time.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Can’t wait to try it.