Woodshop Basics Full?

I joined the makers last Thursday with the intention of using the Woodshop. All the Basics classes for the month are filled up. When do more classes get added? I can’t wait to join in with the community.

3 Likes

I can t help with questions about the wood shop basics It seems
to fill up no matter how many classes are offered

Meanwhile look through our classes and take something, that way
you get to know folks and I gets you more framiler with the space

So many tools so little time

2 Likes

I have had very good luck “flying standby”, meaning show up before the class and let the instructor know you’re interested, and if there’s a no-show (common) they will let you in

5 Likes

Tanks I will have to ‘fly standby’ next week. I didn’t know if it was acceptable.

3 Likes

the wood shop is one of the most popular classes to take, i have really enjoyed my time in there.

1 Like

Like @Cairenn_Day said - go ahead and sign up for some other classes too! There’s a lot of boxes you need to get checked as a new member. Woodshop, lathe, laser, 3d printing, vinyl cutter, shapeoko, CNC Router, … The sooner you get through “Makerspace 101” the sooner you can get ta’ makin’ the things you want. You know, where you surface and thickness your wood in the woodshop, use the CNC router or Shapeoko to rout a design and then laser your logo on the back before you give it to someone for Christmas!

1 Like

I am. I am on for 3 classes next week just really wanting to get into the wood shop. But I can be patient.

4 Likes

Two years ago I had the same problem with getting into a woodshop
basics class and they are teaching it more often now

I will also suggest that if are not familiar with some of the computer
programs the tools use, do that, I am still playing catch up on that
because of my poor computer background

1 Like

I think it’s generally acceptable, but if the class is in fact full, and the instructor then says “no”, then just need to sign up for a future class.

They (instructors) are generally accomodating and helpful. Don’t forget to be ready to pay any class related fees on the spot when flying standby.