Woodshop Basics Classes

There are only 2 on the calendar through the end of May and both are full. Are there any plans to add a few more in the near future?

2 Likes

I agree there needs to be more classes. I will be willing to train as soon as I’m cleared to do so. In a previous career I built cabinets and laminate counter tops if anyone is interested.

4 Likes

We’ll be adding more shortly. Stay tuned…

7 Likes

Any more slated soon? The rest of the month has already filled up.

Agreed, more classes are needed. I’ve been trying to sign up for a while now, but haven’t gotten the timing right with class availability.

Has there ever been a considering for an online waiting list for classes? Users on the waiting list would be given notification of a new session, and allowed X number of days to register before it opens up to the public - or something to that affect.

I just put a class on the calendar for the evening of Tuesday, 23 May, starting at 7:00 PM.

It will show up on Friday, 5 May, at around 3:15 PM.

Fantastic. Thank you for the info and quick response. Austin.

Could we get a couple more lathe turning classes? Thank you.
Liz

I’ll see what I can do. I apologize, I’ve been pretty tied up with other stuff the past couple of weeks, and need to stabilize my schedule before I start teaching again. Thankful Brad has really stepped up and carried the load!

1 Like

Is there any way to have an evening or midnight class thurs-sat? the problem with not being able to sign up for ME is my work schedule.
I work nights, sun-wed night.
If anyone is wiling to offer a class, please PM me.
thank you.

There will be one Tue May 23 7pm — 9:30pm… It will show up on the calendar in the next couple of days. Keep your eyes open!

Edit to add: I see that you mention working nights Sunday - Wednesday. I’m not sure when the next class that will fit into your schedule will be. Just gotta keep your eyes open. They get added as instructors have time.

Hey guys, don’t mean to beat a dead horse since I know there are a lot of questions like this and i’m sure the guys who are teaching the classes are doing as many as they can. But I have to ask, are there any other projected workshop basics classes within the next month? I just joined and it seems I’m not allowed to use most of the tools that I want without a basics class in their respective shops.

I’m basically asking if anybody knows if there is any way I can squeeze onto an existing class or get training some other way so I haven’t spent my monthly membership fee only to sit around unable to use the tools I need for my project.

P.S. I have seen a lot of concern over the woodshop being clean, I am so willing to clean and organize that shop to completion every week during the summer if I can just get some training…(will trade work for certification).

Thanks,
Zachary

There was one yesterday: Saturday, May 27th

There is one currently on the calendar; but, the class is full: Monday, June 12th

There is one pending that should show up on the calendar tomorrow afternoon: Wednesday, June 7th.

If you aren't able to register for the class on the 7th, you might consider coming by on the 12th to see if there are any no-shows. The teachers will often let someone join in place of the no-shows. No guarantees; but, it's an option to consider.

Otherwise, just keep your eyes open. Classes do get scheduled on a pretty regular basis most of the time; but, they also fill up very quickly.

1 Like

Thank you, I actually signed up yesterday just to take that class on the 12th and then it ended up being full…but I will definitely do what you recommended. I appreciate your response and i’ll keep a lookout for that class.

1 Like

I just joined with the intent of using the wood shop, but see I have to take the basic class before I do so. If I’m not able to do what I need to do, I’d really like a refund until the basic wood shop classes are available again.

Hi Ryan. Your situation is not uncommon. I know we inform the public of this via our website, should anyone choose to do their homework and review it before committing, but I’m curious about what is communicated on this subject during our Thursday Night Open House…did you attend one before signing up? If so, was it not mentioned that access to some of our tools was allowed only after a safety & basics class? It should be being mentioned as part of our spiel at this point.

Also note, as a general policy, I don’t think we provide refunds for pretty much any reason. I might be wrong, however…happy to be corrected. Also, note that right/wrong, good/bad, you have to be a member to sign up for most of our safety basics classes, i.e. you can’t first take the classes and then become a paying member.

Here is an instructive thread, should you wish to review and understand some history relating to this topic: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/truth-in-tours-intentional-misrepresentation-or-simple-oversights-by-volunteers-or/18041/2

1 Like

Thanks for responding. I did not see anything on the site that indicated the wood shop basics class is lacking openings, just that it is a required prerequisite. I have no problem doing so as long as the class is provided. That’s the issue I’m having. Can’t use the equipment until you take the class, but no classes available.

I did not attend an open house as I have already taken a class there previously.

1 Like

A tactic which has been working for some is to just show up to the class as a stand-by in case someone else does not show.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, Bill.

How many spots are made available in each of these classes? Are some taking this as a refresher class, if so could that be offered separately to open spots for new members?

1 Like