Woodshop 1.2.3 and 4 canceled

These four classes were offered back to back Sunday 6/23 . It was a full class. It canceled two hours and 15 minutes before it was to meet. Unfortunately, I checked for cancelations three hours before the class was supposed to meet so I was at the DMS wood shop at 10:00 only to find the class has evaporated from the class schedule. Imagine my disappointment.

I don’t know who was scheduled to instruct, I would be contacting them rather than using this forum, but the first question to them would be when the class will be rescheduled.

Thank you for letting us know. Sometimes life events happen that are unexpected, and cause individuals to not be available. Obviously this is an unfortunate situation and we apologize for the disruption to your day.

Did you receive any communication from the instructor or DMS that the class had been canceled, even if it did come at the T-Minus 2.15 hour mark before class start?

I did receive E mail 2.5 hours prior to the class start.

Who do I contact for reschedule??

Can you please send me the contents of that email? I have reached out to the Woodshop Chair and Vice Chair to initiate discussion on the matter. As for rescheduling, that will need to be coordinated with the Woodshop Chair and Vice-Chair.

Does this work for you?? the other 3 are pretty much identical.

Sun, Jun 23, 2019 7:44 am

Dallas Makerspace ([email protected])To:you Details

Larry Curtis,

An event that you RSVP’d for has been cancelled.

Woodshop 1

If you paid to register for this event then a refund has been submitted for processing.

Dallas Makerspace

1 Like

There are classes scheduled for the 26th, if that works for you:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/?category=63&room=12

Note, there’s also a W/S2 class, but you have to remove room filter or got to regular schedule view to see it.

1 Like

That will work. what is a W/S2 class? Thank you. is this the same instructor that was to teach the 6/23 class??

Woodshop 2.

Yes, same instructor.

I am registered for all 4 classes. I suggest the other people that were registered should be contacted to notify them of the class on the 26th. I am fortunate that my schedule can be manipulated to be at the space on a weekday afternoon, perhaps this is not possible for the others. I would hope you can make arrangements to accommodate them as well.

Done.

1 Like

And they canceled. I suppose I should be grateful for 2 days notice. I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

Mon, Jun 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Dallas Makerspace ([email protected])
To:you Details

Larry Curtis,

An event that you RSVP’d for has been cancelled.

Woodshop 4

If you paid to register for this event then a refund has been submitted for processing.

Dallas Makerspace

Is there a reason this member cannot be spot trained since they are clearly making an effort to get tagged out?

Thanks but no thanks. I really was looking forward to the group experience, I can wait.

2 Likes

I was also signed up for the Sunday 6/23 and Wednesday 6/26 Woodshop classes before they got cancelled. I’ll be lookout for the next class, but if anyone is able to spot train me I’d appreciate it!

1 Like

that’s half a class right there.

Each of these classes is hands-on, detailed instruction averaging 90-120 minutes. Though shorter as a private lesson, it would be still 5-6 hours. That is a very heavy ask on our volunteers.

@ioport51 also has a good point. Small group classes are beneficial because of different points of view and questions enrich the learning experience.

5 Likes

In this case, solid reason. @ioport51 I’m sorry you’re having trouble and hope you get a class soon!

@Team_Woodshop @Mrksls2 any insight into why these were cancelled? It might be useful info for improving our scheduling processes.

We might also want to send users a reason for the cancelation. In my experience people are often very appreciative and more understanding when things go wrong, if they are told the reason why. We could also use that cancelation reason field/message to provide users with information on possible rescheduling or class changes.

I can write the code and make a pull request for the calendar if this type of change would be welcome.

2 Likes

I was signed up for the 6/23 woodshop classes in the hopes of getting back to work on a project. Couldn’t do the Wednesday because of work.

There hasn’t been any woodshop class recently. I assume there are reasons for the cancelation/ no classes as of recent, but I was hoping to hear whether or not any would be upcoming!