Wooden Sword Making Class

Who at the space would be interested in a series of classes on how to make wooden sword? In theory it would range from creating a basic sword
to making more elaborate pieces like this
This would also be a fun and practical way for people to get more acquainted with the tools in the woodshop once they clear basics, in a way that isn’t just making a box, a cutting board, or a picture frame

9 Likes

also tagging @Team_Hatchers, to see if you guyus know anyone who would be interested in this, maybe as practice weapons for ACL or SCA?

1 Like

The more elaborate style, yes.
@Webdevel (the colenator?)

He and the girl want real swords now. His current collection is going up on the wall now that he has a real knife from his great grandpa.

1 Like

natural progression, lol.

1 Like

Great Grandpa’s are the best … they are closer to what a kid’s wants are than the next two generations!

You can bet he’s shown them how to properly handle a knife and that it is a tool carried in your pocket - not a weapon.

Wood swords can be good for practice and handling techniques. I’m having to strengthen my hand and arm for fighting.

But for actual fighting, SCA uses rattan weapons because when they break they do not splinter.

id be interested. seems like a cool project

Been there, done that, would do it again ‘cause it’s fun!

8 Likes

what you might get takers on is not so much wooden swords - but scabbards for live steel…

2 Likes

Not so much for official SCA practice – swords are required to be made of rattan, which doesn’t spit splinters when it breaks, and is more flexible when striking.

Mind you, individual folks might want one to play in the backyard with. YMMV.

1 Like

Shit, now I wanna make one of those.

2 Likes

I also favor live steel weapon classes. However, many weapons also have wood as part of them such as axes and pole-arms. It would be great to get a several part class on making the wood parts and the steel parts as well as the sheaths/scabbards. Also, many of the live steel fighting has dull or rounded edges but I can imagine that people could sharpen them up as well.

from what i can tell, the issue of practice vs live steel is not just the edge, it’s also that live steels are treated and tempered too; which is a whole different kettle of fish.

if you can get me a hold of some spear/axe/halberd heads without handles, then i can certainly run a class on fitting handles to them

1 Like

That sounds great. We have a couple of new instructors wanting to teach the steel parts.

class has been created, just waiting the 72 hours for approval

What day will the class be?

Sat Feb 9 1:30pm — 5:30pm is the current time

Update: The class is now open for registration

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/9944

Zach…the listing says Part 1. When are the other 3 dates so I can update the slide (playing on our monitors now).

2 Likes