Wooden blocks for baby

My niece is having a baby in July. Ultrasound says, boy. She recalls her childhood and the fun she had playing with WOODEN BLOCKS.

Go figure.

Anyway, she has asked me to make her a set of wooden blocks for her baby. I told her I would be honored.
I then thought it might be fun to challenge some of you creative types to offer your talents to the task.
In exchange for any and all who provide a single block, or a series of blocks, I will offer you one of the wooden rings I make. You can choose from my current inventory or I can make a custom ring with your size, thickness, and wood choice. These make great homemade unique presents.

I only ask the following:

1. Each block be no smaller than 1.5 inch cube
  2. No glued on items that might eventually come off
  3. No sharp points
  4. Either NO finish, OR is OK to use that delicious tasting SALAD BOWL finish.

Goal is to have the set ready to give her early/mid August.

THANKS

4 Likes

Challenge accepted. Just letters or words/pictures accepted?

Should there be a #5 on your list limiting wood choices?​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

What, no lead paint?

1 Like

No limits. Traditional is good, but am open to whatever.
thanks

It would be fun to make a few with an inlay on the CNC. I like this idea…

I don’t know which wood choices are edible and which are not. I am thinking/hoping with Salad Bowl finish ether way we are covered. Am open to suggestions as to what to avoid.

As tasty as lead paint is, you are right probably.
No lead paint,
Thanks

1 Like

Great, I like your liking this idea !

Doing a quick round of google-fu, I’m just going to post these links. Jeff let us know if you have any preferences on wood:

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-woodworking-knots/wood-and-materials/child-safe-wood-and-or-finishes

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a53373439/what_types_of_wood_are_safe_for_teethers

1 Like

The concerns I’ve seen…

• Allergies. Having tree allergies myself I can safely say this has merit. People with this concern avoid nut trees. They should also be avoiding trees that are common allergens like Mountain Cedar, Cottonwood, and Oak (which is also a nut tree).

• Splintering. People with this concern either choose very hard woods that a young child is unable to chew through or woods that splinter safely. Poplar apparently falls into the later group.

• Toxic. Some woods contain toxins and should be avoided.

Thanks, I looked at the links you provided and did additional searches. I have come away with the conclusion that all woods will kill you. No, really, it is a matter of allergy sensitivity that cannot be know ahead of time like this. The best rule of thumb is, as one of your links stated, most native trees are relatively safe.
When we were kids, I believe the wood of choice was pine, simply because is cheep and plentiful. I did see credible suggestions of CHERRY, MAPLE. WALNUT, ALDER, OAK as good options
Of local woods, I would avoid mesquite only because I was told (don’t know have true) it is a significant irritant.
But again, I suspect with a good finish the wood type, should not be overly a concern.
I did also learn that ALL finishes sold in US are required to be non-toxic. Salad bowl finish only becomes non-toxic sooner than others, 48 rather than 72 hours.

1 Like

Mesquite is very allergic. I mostly use it and even with a respirator it causes issues.
Poplar might be the best choice, cheap and light.
How many total blocks are you looking for?

30-100 I will take any all provided

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

How did this turn out?

Maple is always a popular choice.

What designs do you have planned for the blocks? I suggest using the lasers, and having a jig set up for repeatable work.

Project still in progress.
I agree, the laser sounds like the way to go. So far as to what I have planned…hmm…will probably start with refresher on that newer smaller laser. Is it Zing? Then cut a selection of blocks and see what letters, numbers, pictures, symbols I can come up with. Good time to clean out garage of small scraps of wood. I suspect Some pieces will never touch baby’s mouth, rather be used as nursery decoration or saved as keepsake.
Thanks, I may be quizzing you on Zing.

2 Likes

Many of the woods that are considered irritants are irritants only in the dust form.

Same thing could be done on the Shapeoko …

1 Like