Wood Lathe Work needed

I need to replicate a few simple spindles needed to repair a friend’s antique chair. I have very limited experience using a lathe and it was decades ago in middle school. Would anyone be willing to do this for me? I’d obviously compensate them and pay for materials. Thanks for your time and consideration

how many spindles and how exacting do you need them?

Chances are you could get several people to knock them out -

I’d give it a try - but can’t claim to be any sort of expert.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the delay responding. 4 spindles. Attached is a picture. I was thinking popar and I could dye it. What do you think.

were those round dowels like the back one, or patterned like the two on the front?

I’m gonna venture a guess that the dowels sitting on the chair itself are what he’s wanting to reproduce…

1 Like

Ah. Totally missed that. I zoomed right up on the legs…

It is just the round side dowels. I’ve got a picture of the other unbroken chair if that helps.

Are you still interesting in giving these a try? I’m going to pick the chair up later this week. Need to see if hide glue was used so I can easily get it apart. If you’re interested maybe the week after next? I have my 3 kids on vacation next week and the time will allow me to get it apart and get materials. Thanks again for your time and can I pay you for your time (cash ,alcohol, etc)?

I don’t think DMS has a duplicator - this would all be free-hand and I can’t claim to have the experience necessary - but I’d be willing to give it a try. We’re usually at makerspace every Wednesday night -

But - don’t wait on me - and I wouldn’t ask you to pay me anything - chances are we might burn through several pieces of wood before we got any one piece to a finish you’d want to use.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the delay. I response got kicked back and I missed it. I’ll probably give these a try myself. I should learn how to use a lathe anyway. I think I need to take the class first. Maybe I’ll try one Weds evening and can pick your brain if necessary. Thanks again much appreciated.

definitely take the class and make several piles of wood chips. Think of it this way - it’s your restoration project - get something out of it.

I won’t be there tonight as our plans changed this week - but possibly next week.