Wood lathe training request

Hi,

I want to make a pair of drum sticks for my kid and I was wondering if anyone is willing to train/teach me how to do that. Maybe a more generic question is: When is the next training class for the wood lathe?

Chuck

1 Like

Hi. Welcome to DMS. Couple of small things – generally, if you’re looking for help in a specific area, you should post in that category. Here, Woodshop should be your choice. BUT! Please don’t repost – @Team_Moderators can move this to the right area. Most of us read Talk straight from the “latest” grouping, and multiple posts means multiple reads.

One way to check on offerings is to go to Events/Calendar, and select “By Tool”. Woodshop lathes is what you’d be looking for (as we also have metal lathes, which are listed by their name, just to confuse you.

I will say that I have No Idea why the Letterpress classes say that they’re using the Woodshop Lathe.

I see that the current lathe class is full. You might reach out to the instructor. He’ll probably have other classes coming up. Our class schedule isn’t really running much more than 1-3 weeks out. Sometimes it’s possible to “fly standby” by showing up for the class to see if there were any no-shows.

1 Like

How do I reach out to specific people via Talk?

1 Like

I don’t understand that one fully myself. If they’ve got a handle, I don’t know how to find them. And, Paul must have a handle, because typing “@p” doesn’t bring me a Paul LeChance to click.

Also, if you’re a member, you might go down to the “Green Dot” area, and request your green dot. That’ll give you access to all the categories. Granted, that’s only a few more that are restricted to members. All the committee areas are open to everyone.

1 Like

your looking for @prl2018

3 Likes

Chuck, are you a member? Have any woodshop experience at all? I might be up sometime in the next 2 weeks and could do a 1 on 1 to get you signed off on the equipment. I would think a drum stick is fairly simple to do since its basically just a longish round spindle.

My own curiosity is asking if there a reason for wanting a custom set? or just the practice of working on a lathe and the fun of making it yourself? From what I am seeing, they are generally made from hickory or sometimes maple. I actually may have a piece of hickory I can give you to save you from having to buy a full piece of it. Otherwise you’ll likely be out $15 (which is roughly the cost of a new set of drumsticks). I’d also suggest bringing a drumstick you want to copy for the project so you have it to reference size.

1 Like

Hey gang… it’s LaChance rather than LeChance which might be a part of the problem… welcome to DMS! If the 16th works for you look for a cancellation. If not I’ll be scheduling one for the week following. Or take @Lordrook up on his offer. He’s a fantastic Turner with much more experience than I have. Let me know either way? I can do a one off training as well but have some travel plans and visitors in over the next month. We certainly want to get you up and turning as soon as possible!

2 Likes

To follow on with Steve… do a few practice sets before using your hickory… the time will be well worth it.

Thank you for replying back.

My son plays the drums and I was looking for a reason to learn the lathe.

I have very minimal woodshop experience.

I would love to have a 1 on 1 if your offer still stands. What I am looking for might be too specific so I might not jive well into Paul’s training schedule/program.

Either or would be fine as you are wanting to make what is referred to as a spindle (and thats generally what we practice with during the 101 class). I may be up Friday evening if that works for you. and the 1 on 1 takes about 30 min. After the sign off class I’d give you the basics of what you need to make a drumstick. then, after that, I’d leave you to practice a couple on your own before I’d recommend you work with the hickory. If you have a scrap 2x4 or something I’d suggest bringing that. From what I am seeing a drumstick is between 15-17.5 inches long with about a .540-.565 diameter. It’s honestly a really good first project to get your feet wet on the lathe.

1 Like

I am free on Nov 12 or 19 (both Fridays) at 7pm, if that works for you.

for what it’s worth, a set of drumstick pens would be a) awesome and b) great practice and c) relatively cheap and fast.

7 this Friday works just fine, I will see you then. I’ll be in there working on some stuff already.

Great, see you there.

@Team_Infrastructure

Can you please Add Chuck Wai to the AD list for approved lathe users? I did run him through lathe basics 101 on Friday night at 7pm.

1 Like