Withdrawl From COTA Race

The Motor Sports Committee had planned to run the DMS car in the Champ Car race at the Circuit of the Americas June 13-14. At this time we have regretfully decided that there is not enough time to adequately prepare the car, even if DMS reopens now, so we have withdrawn from the race.

Several people had expressed interest in attending the race. The organizers have confirmed that the race will go ahead, with adjustments to the program to ensure social distancing, but we will not be able to compete. Hopefully Champ Car will hold this race again next year, when we will have the time and facilities available to properly prepare.

The next event will be either at Harris Hill in San Marcos September 27-28, or at MSR in Houston November 14-15. When DMS reopens we will resume meeting on Thursday nights at 7PM. See you all then!

9 Likes

Super sad. I know CotA is a dream track for many!

1 Like

Let’s find a way to run this race anyway, God told me it will be no problem and we might do better this time :wink: Even if “The Space” is closed. I would like to rejoin as a member and run the race.

@Team_Automotive any word on when The Space might reopen? Currently live in Oklahoma, but would like to rejoin as a distance member.

We’re close in general. Once the rest of the prep is done Auto is already set. I can’t give an official timeline, but committee chairs have been in the past week prepping their respective areas, and Logistics has been letting people claim their storage since project storage is going to be closed for the reopening.

See the other threads on it.

Given the rate is now less than a week away, prepping the car would likely not be feasible.

Yea, running this race is not possible at this point, regardless of whether we re-open.

2 Likes

Just curious what the hold ups would be?

1 Like

Getting the car to a point it would pass tech inspection (different races have different requirements), fresh consumables, testing things, getting drivers coordinated, ensuring said drivers have equipment for the race and time to prep, etc.

1 Like

Actually, Jim,. the reason we withdrew is that we have body damage from the last race. We have to repair this to pass tech, and the Committee did not feel that, without access to the car at the Space this would not be possible. A couple of drivers dropped out, and we agreed to skip this race and try again in September or November.

6 Likes

There will still be quite a few DMS folks out there racing though: Mike K’s 350z, Jay’s Miata, and Franklin has a seat in the Winkler miata. Good luck guys! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

6 Likes

Was any DMS member responsible for the damage or was it just a accident? How bad is the damage?

Body damage is fairly simple. Myself and two others would be willing to join and repair the vehicle for use this weekend.

We have withdrawn from the race.

There is not time to properly prepare the car for a safe race, even if we get access to the Space tomorrow. If you were to enter the race, but fail Tech Inspection, you would lose the $2,100 entry fee, and not get on the track.

If you would like to get involved in the next race, come to a session on Thursday night after DMS reopens.

5 Likes

After this race with Winkler Motorsports, I will say I am happy that DMS withdrew. The 240sx is not prepped for this one at all and believe it will be the demise of the car even if we had prepped and went…

As for experience with this other team and in comparison, i can definitely say we have a bit of work to do to the 240sx. For the car to be driveable at this level of a track there must be a better vision rather than just slapping parts on and go… I will share more during tonight’s meeting.

2 Likes