Wireless Router Network

The UAP-AC-LR Ubiquiti Wireless router showed up today. I installed it in very little time. You need to download the management/controller software, but it is loaded with statistics and other info. It has a lot of features I’ve not availed myself of yet.

My laptop, in my study, used to get about 6Mbs down and 2.5Mbs up and now gets 12Mbs down and 9.5 Mbs up. My cellphone now gets 57+Mbs both ways using speetest.net for testing. There are other reasons the laptop is slow, like the wireless card is pretty slow, but all in all everything seems more responsive.

We left the settop box on the old Actiontec wireless, but moved the Firestick, Apple TV and all of our personal devices to the new network.

In summary, it is $100 well spent.

5 Likes

Nice. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

2 Likes

A powerline ethernet adapter pai would get you much more than 12mb if you wanted to try for the study laptop

2 Likes

That’s good to hear it’s an improvement. Upgrading the wireless adapter for your laptop might be worthwhile if you use the network a lot. The AC LR model is capable of more (assuming the internet connection is too). This test is from a phone with AC wireless on the same model access point. YMMV based on range, things in the way, etc.

1 Like

The link above has a typo and should be speedtest.net.

My Ubiquiti Pro arrived today and download speed to my laptop has increased from 11.5Mbps to 23Mbps. Upload is the same at around 1.85.

I downloaded and installed the latest driver for my network card from Dell today. The new numbers for my laptop are 40.79 down and 43.8 up.

3 Likes

Well…that’s a bit of an improvement.

40 symmetric is great. Now you can stream a show AND download a large ISO before the show is halfway done!

Does anyone know much about Puffin Browser? I think their numbers are not right. I get these

This is from the Speedtest app

Regarding speed tests in general. I’ve been researching how each of the vendors perform their tests, and most are doing math… I plan on writing up and producing a “white-paper” for my company to better educate folks about internet speeds, and the variety of speed test platforms that exist.

What I recommend, is to try several of these, repeatedly. Then you will see what I mean:

• Ookla’s famous speed test, which on their mobile app now lets you pick between multiple streams and a single stream.

http://speedtest.frontiercom/speedtest.html

• a branded Ookla one if you have FIOS

https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speedtest-only

• branded Ookla one if you have cable

https://www.nperf.com/en/

• gives jitter as well, longer test than ookla

http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

• Google’s which I cannot recommend for reliable results.
  • My current favorite, actually test with doubling of sized files.

I’m reasonably pleased with that result via WiFi on a phone on a nominal 50Mb² package served by long-in-the-tooth Tellabs BPON topology.

1 Like

I don’t trust Speedof.Me for reliable results. I don’t think they have enough bandwidth to conduct tests. They seem to max out around 500Mbps these days.

It’s better than it used to be. A while back it maxed out around 100Mbps. Still though, it’s not where it needs to be to get reliable results.

I hadn’t heard of Puffin Browser until now. I looked it up and found the description on Wikipedia to be helpful in explaining what’s going on.

It appears the bandwidth results you’re getting are for the remote server (at the Puffin Browser data center) you’re connected to rather than the device the browser is running on.

Decided to put another Ubiquiti LR downstairs. They are configured in a mesh network. Now everybody is happy with their bandwidth. We retained the original Actiontec network for several things, such as my Yamaha receiver since it doesn’t need the bandwidth except when streaming music and the “guide” for the set top box. We don’t stream movies from the set top, we use Amazon Firstick or AppleTV for that. Although my TV and Blueray player are still on the old network, too. We seldom use these for any of their network services either.

The rest of the household network has been switched to utilize the new Ubiquiti routers. Even the Roomba is happier.

6 Likes