Wine Cube Storage Rack

Hi, everyone. I’m new to the space, but way overdue. I’m so glad to be among like-minded thinkers and doers!

So, I’m beginning the research and planning stages for a wall-mounted wine cube storage rack that I’d like to build in a closet that I’m converting to a bar and I was wondering whether anyone here (1) had any experience manufacturing inebriant shelving, and/or (2) was interested in helping in any stage of my project, or even working in parallel and building your own. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos to see what others have done, but I haven’t found anyone who’s reached the level of detail/commitment that I hope to achieve with my project (e.g., using long solid pieces of quality hardwood with half-lap joints and proper beveling in the corners).

My closet is 32" wide, and I think I can squeeze in anywhere from 48" to 64" vertically. The ceiling is pretty high (101"), and it’s a fairly deep closet (37") so even if I come all the way down to the planned countertop (which would sit at around 35" high, atop a wine fridge), I think the bottles would be set back far enough so as to not crowd my counter space. Right now I’m interested in figuring out a router-jig to make the half-lap joinery more efficient, although I’m sure there will be other challenges!

In any event, if anyone has any tips/pointers, or is interested in building their own, I’d love to hear from you.

Cheers,
Anthony

1 Like

No inebriant shelving experience but depending on your design and the width of the joints you might consider a dado stack on the table saw instead of the router.

I would also recommend calculating how much total weight this shelving (and your longest unsupported span) might hold just to make sure it doesn’t come in undersized or with a joint that could fail. Just as a sanity check.

Awesome suggestions – thanks! I had not considered the dado stack, but I have one and that sounds like a much better (i.e., easier) plan than building a router jig. I had considered the weight issue, though. I’m a belt and suspenders kind of guy, so I’ll be sure to fool-proof it. For starters, I think the long solid hardwood boards from corner to corner will help (no relying on drywall screws to hold a bunch of boards together), and I plan to brace the rack from beneath with the solid stone countertop, which itself will be braced with countertop support brackets. I might even wedge something between the countertop and the fridge itself once it’s all set in place. I’ll run the numbers on the total weight of the bottles just to be sure, though.

The more research I do, and the more I see how much people are charging for even the most basic wine bottle shelving, the more motivated I am to tackle this myself. Thanks again!

1 Like

@Antz welcome!
Do you have pics or vid links to what you are considering?

1 Like