Will these classes qualify for a honorarium

Hello my name is kyle I’m a member and had a few ideas for classes wanted to see if any or all these would qualify for honorarium
I have a couple ideas

1 a yoga class 

2 a acroyoga class

3 how to prevent procrastination so you can be a better maker and a better self 

4 how to prevent depression practical tips to manage your inner critic

Sorry, I did not get back to you via email. I personally don’t think these are a good fit for Dallas Makerspace. We prefer to focus on the act of “Making”

4 Likes

Preventing depression sounds like a pretty serious topic that the presenter would need some qualifications for. No idea what OP’s licensing and certifications are, just wanted to bring that up.

5 Likes

I like them. I’m not in the group that approves honoraria, though.

Would you be charging a fee? Any items you’d want people to buy (books, mats, etc?)

I agree with Merissa. Depression is serious, as much as I hate to say it, we have a lot of people that are going through high job stress or unemployment. I haven’t seen anything I’d call serious depressive behavior, but I’m not an expert.

Would like to know the credentials and experience of person teaching before approval. This class is borders or maybe even be considered medical advice.

I hope they have credentials/qualifications to teach, I think this would be a good class. Further more, I think the Space is a way for people to not feel isolated.

Specifically discussing last item. Like Robert, I’m not sure others are good fit.

3 Likes

No doubt that you will get some interest in these topics. The question is whether DMS should be paying for it.

If you have a reliable way to fight procrastination, well, you know, we have a slogan…start projects, finish whenever…

What Robert said. Our wheelhouse is Making. Lets stick to teaching that.

2 Likes

I would wager that the purpose of number 4 isn’t to treat clinical depression, but more a set of tips on how to improve your general outlook on things. The issue of needing credentials to teach a class on managing depression can be solved simply by using another term. Example: “how to prevent discouragement practical tips to manage your inner critic”.

3 Likes

Maybe promote making therapy instead of just therapy? Call it Happy Hour or something. I think some of the classes could be good, but IMHO unless they’re happening at a really odd time of day/night could rustle some jimmies if they’re taking up the class spaces that people use for maker classes/meetings