Wiki Improvements and Search

Separate page would help searching … but a separate page is not required.

Using the pre-formatted headers on the wiki will generate bookmark links for every header. As long as someone uses a header for a tool, then it has a bookmark.

Here’s an example using Bridgeport mill. It has a header section. Anything, including the tool list, could link to it using that bookmark.

EDIT: The Tools list is already linked to that bookmark, even though the Bridgeport isn’t on a separate page.

Got it. This thread - and the people in it - has been incredibly helpful today.

1 Like

I think I enabled emails? I’m not sure how to test it, aparently if someone edits my user page it’ll trigger an email? Can someone edit https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/User:Clone1018 and just add something?

Done. I’m also going to mark something as a minor edit so you can see if that one notifies you.

Ok I added a few thing

@John_Marlow emails are now working

3 Likes

Thank you very much Luke … this is great …

Can we get the icons for the templates? It seems some of the templates are half installed or something? I’m not sure.
List of Templates: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Special:AllPages?from=&to=&namespace=10

I’m wanting to get together a class on using the wiki

1 Like

We have a sandbox that we can play with the wiki in and try things out. It isn’t indexed or can be searched for.

I’m toying with the idea of redesigning the tools page

First, let me say it is a work in progress and it is just some interesting ideas. Second, it doesn’t work on mobile very well yet but I am working on that. So, use a computer.

First the original tools page: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Tools
You will notice at the top is a list of committee areas but not much else as far as index.

I am just playing with the 3d fab tools right now…
I have made several optional ways of displaying things for different items but check it out

Oh and it has made up text for place holders …

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Dallas_Makerspace:Sandbox

1 Like

I got my first ever notification that someone (Stan) had changed something (adding his name to our committee) on the Laser page.

2 Likes

getting the strangest feeling of deja-vu…

Hmmm … interesting. Obviously you have done a lot of work on that.

But I guess it all depends on how you use the Tools list.

I use it as a “table of contents” that links to all the tools-related documentation throughout the wiki, including the committee pages and cameras. That way all the maintenance of tool-specific information is done on only on the committee pages and not in two places (i.e., also on the Tools list.)

The Tools list gives you a “tools at a glance” view of all our tools by quickly scrolling through the existing table to see what is available. I’m a little concerned that including all the information that you’re researched makes it a very long document to peruse.

There are a few committees where the linear list is very long. You can see that some committees (Electronics, Machine Shop and Woodshop) are grouped into categories. It would be easy to include those categories into the top level index and it would still retain the “tools at a glance” visibility. Some other committees would benefit from this categorization - Creative Arts for instance. However, in the case of a committee with a short list of equipment, like Laser, I would think the single bookmark would be adequate.

I’d love to see what you’ve done here as a template for all of the committees to use as the overview of each tool, within their own committee wiki - instead of on the Tools list.

I haven’t done any research on tools. I just reorganized / formatted the other page. Most of it is already there in the columns on the current tools page. It is just not readable. Except for some of the warnings and those I made up completely.

Yes, I know that, it made me hungry (mi piacciono la pasta!) But if the real information were there it would fill it out comparably.

BTW, would you mind PM’ing me about how I can do a different test in the sandbox? (please)

What I am thinking is that the tools are not on the committee pages but just on this page and perhaps a page of its own.
This page is being designed to give a summary of every tool we have and any rules regarding them. You can look down them and all the categories in the index. I would also like to see a location… The rule says it has to be on the wiki… it doesn’t say it has to be on the committee page

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s a good idea. Some of the committees have lengthy treatises of some of their tools. This is intended as a summary. We don’t want it all here. If we put it all here, then this becomes as hard to use as the rest of the wiki.

Agreed … this is why we can have separate pages for tools and have a details link. They still don’t have to go on the committee page. They can all be summarized on the Tools page and on the committee page they can link to their section.
Then on the tools page it can link to the tool details page with the big treatises. Main Committee pages shouldn’t contain that much content but rather a way to get to other committee sections and pages.

So from What I am seeing, you are looking for something like this kind of set up, but also categorized by committee. http://thinkbox.case.edu/equipment

Another thing I have seen done is to split it by committees/areas with large pictures.

I am willing to help once a consensus on format is decided. I would also suggest a Wiki clean up meet up. Meet at the space incase pictures are needed.

2 Likes

Yes, pretty much … I also really like the rules out beside them in the summary

requres class

1 Like

Mediawiki has (I think) several ways to include the info from one page on another, making the keeping of the data necessary only once. This is one such.
https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Transclusion
Maybe something like this could be useful here, for displaying info in more than one place, but storing just once…

2 Likes