Wide-format printer woes

Someone popped into CA Sunday looking to print. I wanted to hug him and explain that I completely understood his frustration.

I am asking what I am allowed to do to move the situation along towards the goal of two working wide-format printers in the CA Annex.

1. May I update the CA Annex computer from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10? I believe this can be done without charge. I will need administrative rights and license history for that machine to accomplish the task.

2. May I install printer drivers to CA-D02 for both the 7880 and 11880? I don’t think the 7880 was running off this unit when it was in the CA room, so it will need drivers. (Possibly admin for this, too.)

3. May I find USB cords for both printers, or do you want them to share a cord? Would a network (ethernet) connection be preferred?

4. Is it ok if I find a 30’ ethernet cord and tack it along the baseboard, over the door, and back to the baseboard towards the computer? The current connection is across the floor in front of the doorway. (If so, is there one in a closet somewhere or do I need to ask for a purchase by CA?)

Alternately, there’s a hole in the back wall. Was there a plan to connect ethernet from another direction?

1. Is it ok to set up and print a test on the 11880? (Yes, this is a longshot, but I thought I’d ask.)

I’d love it if I could find other members interested in using and maintaining the wide-format printers. If you are around, please introduce yourselves! I think it’s going to take a few people to keep the Annex up and running.

Please keep in mind that my post is to see what I can do to move the goal forward. It’s been a couple of months without a wide-format printer, and more than that since a printer training was hosted. The 64" printer is a $10,000ish donation that’s not been put to use the three months it’s been here. I’d like to be a part of the solution toward excellent printing options at DMS.

You should be tagging in @uglyknees and @pandabob for info here.

2 Likes

This would be handled by Infrastructure. Please create a separate thread requesting that the computer be upgraded to Windows 10.

Drivers can be installed by Infrastructure (requested via #issues-requests thread), Steve (@pandabob), Chris (@John_Marlow), and Nicole (@uglyknees).

They are controlled via software on the computer, So USB would be the connection used unless they change how they monitor the prints. That decision is ultimately up to the current Chairperson.

Whether one shared or two separate USB cables are used is probably more dependent upon the final room configuration.

I believe Stan (@StanSimmons) was taking lead on the network connection(s) for the room…

Has Steve had a chance to check it out yet? This is a question for Nicole unless Steve has an update for us…

It would be great to have a team dedicated to maintaining the wide format printers! Please coordinate with Steve, Nicole and Devin (@missydee1206).

2 Likes