Why I listen to groups that were not my age group

@Mrholthaus
I spent my teenage years in Carlsbad, NM. That was not exactly a incubator for rock and roll groups. There wasn’t any place that up and coming bands could play. Bars tended to be more country and western. Plus, NM had a 21 yr old drinking age. Our local radio stations were either C&W or Easy Listening. In the evening, you could pick up a rock and roll station out of OKC on the “skip”.

I never did ask Robert where his group was going to play. He had asked me to audition, but didn’t like my voice.

And, I set my listening preferences during those years. By the time I got to college (where I might have listened to younger groups), I already had my baseline of groups that I listened to. I don’t really remember buying any new albums during those years. My budget was pretty slim, though. I can’t remember what group was playing in El Paso, but I do remember deciding that I could buy 2-3 albums for the price of the concert. I feel sure that there were probably venues where newer bands could play, but neither I nor my friends went there.

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. I will have to ask my parents why they do. My mom said she saw The Clash live and they are around the same age as her but she never bought an album. But she loves The Rolling Stones who are ~10 years older. Rock and roll in general changed a ton between the early 60s and late 70s which is the eras of rock those two bands represent. I am sure Vietnam had a large effect on this….also Woodstock and Hendrix.

1 Like

If they lived in a bigger town than Carlsbad, there were probably places where younger bands could get a start. Carlsbad had bupkis.

Ah, 1520 KOMA. Even though it faded in and out.

I used to try to listen to it late Sunday nights when the local rock stations shut down for their weekly maintenance. Either that or news on 1070 KNX in Los Angeles when conditions permit or 1080 KRLD here in Dallas. I still remember the spots for Elkins Institute on Inwood; they must have single-handedly kept that station alive in those days.

1 Like