Why I am such a Non-Member Rebel...so far

sigh

I think I will take a step back now…

If you are truly coming at this from an experimental perspective, then I
applaud your intriguing methodology. I wish you luck, regardless.

Sincerely,
Tim Nielsen

FWIW, I DEFINITELY wouldn’t take what anyone says on forums as a reason not to continue showing up etc. Your help in streaming the BoD meeting for instance last night was MUCH appreciated.

Honestly, I think it’s more that we’ve just never seen a situation quite like this, and I think it confuses people. It’s also possible that your third post with the comment “I would love to get more involved in the management of the Dallas Makerspace” combined with the fact that MAYBE your avatar name sounds close to “ControlFreak” might have possibly scared some people? (looking at your YT etc. makes it clear you’re an industrial controls guy, but the name is funny in any event :laughing:)

I wouldn’t put much stock in any of that though and you shouldn’t feel scared off or anything.

5 Likes

I think Kent makes several solid points here. Talk tends to be that: talk. If you’re enjoying the in-person experience, don’t let any negativity here sway you. Y’know, unless Talk is a big part of your enjoyment.

I know I helped start this thread by supporting Dan’s question, which, after a bit of watching you work I felt was legitimate toward learning the whys and wherefores. I THANK YOU for answering that.

I think it’s a sad commentary that apparently none of us has any experience with true philanthropy, which you have given no indications to counter is your goal. Although my opinion is sh!t, I welcome you and your efforts to improve the 'Space and, as long as you are okay with attending only open-door activities and/or being accompanied, I say “Welcome!” at no financial outlay on your part. When the day comes you want to come and go as you please, use stuff on your own, etc. I gotta say you gotta pay, but until then I think we should lay off, and stop treating you like a pinata.

I welcome non-member “guests” to teach and volunteer. I teach classes on the laser cutter and 3D printers for non-members but that’s generally in hopes that they will join to use the tools. I think the confusion is most people want to use the tools of the space, have access to rooms without a chauffeur, and have voting rights. I do appreciate you coming in and helping with the live stream video, I just personally think if you want to contribute to the space and you can afford it, $50/mo isn’t a bad way to contribute. I think just having access to 500mbps FiOS 24/7 is reason enough.

1 Like

Hey pachuco rebel, I totally respect your careful evaluation of whether or not DMS membership is worth it or not and whether you can benefit from it without paying a full membership. I think one can really gain a lot from attending the classes, reading the forum and just talking to members without paying the membership.

I would recommend however that you do not take DMS for granted. It is very new and it is a different way for people who have the ability and desire to make things to interact. I recommend you look through the history of DMS through the minutes of the meetings starting with the first notes 2/18/2010. It started with just a few people who have made some good decisions to make DMS what it is today. And it is getting better, you might just still be able to get on the ground floor of something that will really be spectacular. I also see that DMS is fragile and a few bad decisions could really screw it up.

My life experience has been growing up with little resources but supported in working hard and thinking creatively to put things together in a way that served me well. I have not found many people can do this but DMS is where I have found a lot of people who are doing this. I like DMS, I have benefited from it and I am going to do what I can to keep it going.

Hopefully, ojale, my essay is helpful to you.

1 Like

I kind of get it, although I think I have a different perspective. And maybe this is a bit tangential, but it’s been on my mind lately

I joined in January and have set foot in the 'Space perhaps 6 times; calculating how much it has cost me to make that RFID reader beep in approval each time is an exercise I don’t engage in. It can be overwhelming stepping into the place and watching things going on. For me, this is compounded by the fact that I can be a bit reserved and I’ve learned that what initially drew me here will take a heck of a lot more skill development than I realized.

But in spite of this, people are still friendly and will sometimes help usher you into things. I last showed up on the 17th because Pierce was doing T-shirt screen printing. I lingered about briefly, jumped into the conversation, then was instructed in how to apply the dye for my own “makersloth” T-shirt that I wore with some satisfaction the next day. Afterwards I wandered over to VECTOR where Nick engaged me - a total stranger - with conversation about pinball machines, their design theory, maintenance, and some ideas people were kicking around for refurbishment. Despite having only a passing interest in pinball and arcade machines and no investment in them, I might drop by on occasion to see what it’s about and get involved by being sucked in.

Otherwise, my list is like yours. I did #2 on NTX Giving Day. I’d like to do #3 - got an idea or two that I need to flesh out. And I’d like to do #5 since I’ve always had this weird thing about the meta of something more than the actuality of it. And of course #8 is kind of a given.

3 Likes

I’m a member of makerspace for the dance parties, fire breathing, secret conversations over deep spiritual growth, and access to the wealthy elite of San Francisco. Oh wait…I think I’m talking about burning man.

To each their own @TheControlsFreak if you want to join do so if not thats ok too.
You do you and we won’t beg for your cuddles.

I hope to see you get involved. We are a group of positive minded, open thinking people who work towards the idea of better and you seem like someone who would fit in well. We are also a group of opinionated, openly questioning people and I think you fit in well in that spot too.
Cheers to the weekend people!

5 Likes

I’d agree with @Kentamanos saying you shouldn’t let the stuff on the forum get to you.

On another note, if you want to help and not have the financial burden of $50 a month, you could teach a class a month and get honarium. If my math works out membership+honarium=$0.

AND we really like full class calendars so that would be helping a ton.

Ima be honest I stopped reading a lot of the longer posts in this thread.

Thanks for your help with the board meeting. It definitely turned out better than our previous attempts by a long shot.

6 Likes

So I am back from travelling for work and don’t expect to be out of town for a few months so… I am NOW a member.

Since I have paid my $50 for the month, I guess I am now allowed to help assist the DMS in accomplishing its goals and broadening its reach to the community. Cool…

Now where do I get the keys to this place?

10 Likes

There are key cards in the lockers in the kitchen. Anyone who is already a member can add the key card number to your account through Maker Manager (web application). This typically happens on Thursday evenings during open house but if you’d like to do it sooner I’m sure someone could assist. If nobody else chimes in I’d be happy to meet you and get a key card for you, I live not far from the makerspace.

1 Like

Thanks, but there’s a few people hanging around. I’m sure someone can help me here.

If not, I can wait till Thursday… I guess. :cry:

2 Likes

Welcome! Glad you decided to jump in. Don’t forget - Make something!

5 Likes

MAKE SOMETHING?..I’ve been doing it all wrong!

9 Likes

Well I already got some classes proposed to be included to the calendar, but my ‘making’ things involves helping build up the Makerspace. :wink:

3 Likes

Alex, I’m convinced that cleaning counts as making. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Making things doesn’t have to be limited to something physical or tangible. I “make” code for my day job, which is just a bunch of bits stored on disk. Actually, shit - that’s kind of depressing…

6 Likes

Welcome. I look forward to your many inputs and contributions. DMS is an awesome place and we always enjoy members who are looking to contribute to the direction, leadership and edification of its members.

Truly welcome! I think you have the true Maker spirit and will be an contributing asset.

… and I make things happen when code failed to do so - or some non-standard situation rears its head that the code can’t handle or tries to do all wrong. It makes things happen in the real world and patches things up so automation can work next time, but it’s also unsung back office work.