Why can't I see a class that the instructor says they have scheduled?

Awesome! Totally looking forward to the Bridgeport class.

Why don’t they show up until Tuesday?

When ever an Instructor submits a class that has an Honorarium it remains in a Review Queue for 72 hours. If no auditor rejects it, it gets automatically approve after 72 hours. If Non-honorarium - 48 hours.

This is how classes that aren’t in line with DMS’s mission are weeded out. example: Multi-level marketing classes, classes that don’t really each anything but are just get togethers like SIG’s to work on a project.

1 Like

We need to turn this post into its own thread, and globally sticky it…

@John_Marlow I think several FAQ could be added, such

“Why doesn’t a class appear on the Events Calendar when the instructor says they’ve submitted it on Talk?”

2 Likes

Yeh, people just don’t seem to get this. We post it again and again and again …

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool, had no idea it worked like that!

1 Like

1 solution:
STOP POSTING TO TALK until they’re posted to the calendar!
but maybe that’s just me… :blush:

1 Like

or they could READ the massive amount of information posted instead of asking… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought maybe I could push the smaller, more cognizant crowd around a little… :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s you.

People ask if classes are coming up so they want to know when classes are coming out. Because the Calendar releases them at specific hours, people that don’t have regular access to a computer all day are at a disadvantage. If they know a class is coming out they can look at about that time.

Lots of people never get a chance to sign up for a class because by the time they can check at home the classes are full. This is a particular problem for Wood Shop classes. They fill immediately.

Some of my classes have filled in just a couple of hours.

2 Likes

Yep. I get all that.
And not that you were/are, but:
then we need to quite complaining about having to post, repost, crosspost, and repeat ad nauseum “When ever an Instructor submits a class that has an Honorarium it remains in a Review Queue for 72 hours. If no auditor rejects it, it gets automatically approved after 72 hours. If Non-honorarium - 48 hours.”

That’s the other approach, which, apparently, is working as you’uns desire. :+1:

PS added similar verbiage to the New Member 411. So now it’s re-cross-posted yet again. I still think it should be globally stickied…

Really a FAQ globally pinned like the read first post about how the board works would be really helpful.

2 Likes

Maybe as a Header on Calendar page because that’s where people are looking for classes.

1 Like

hm.
Maybe.
I can’t do that, so… I guess we’ll have to voluntell…someone who isn’t me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rather then a separate text bllock that would need to be maintained, perhaps just link to

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/New_Member_411#Learn

And frankly when people ask on Talk we should just provide them a link. Members really ought to be reading this. We don’t want to be accused of misleading people again.

2 Likes

Ohh come on, almost nobody reads. :joy:

4 Likes

They can’t see what’s there but they can see what isn’t there.

2 Likes

Posting how things work is good but when new people join they are not going to read through years of talk posts (at least I hope not :flushed:) This is why we need to instutionalize knowledge by writing it down on the wiki. Some will claim that people will not read the wik but I did and I’ve read of several that claim they did. The FAQ is a great approach and I applaud those that will help to create and maintain it.

3 Likes

I liked your suggestion, so I did it. I created a post Class and Classroom FAQs and I pinned it to the top of the Classrooms category.

I locked that post so it could be a succinct conveyance of information, not a lengthy discussion (because no one would read that). If you think there is a crucial FAQ to add, please PM me with the question and the answer. I’d like to limit it to the few things that recur frequently - not the entire list of possible questions.

I didn’t want to eliminate discussion, but any discussion should be in a different location to keep the FAQs post readable. If someone wants to discuss those FAQ items, then please feel free to start a new post “Discussion of …”

I agree. That’s a good idea - especially if it’s a link to FAQs maintained somewhere else. Since I don’t speak GitHub, I am incapable of submitting this as a suggested calendar enhancement.

5 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes