Who would you shadow in tech / business if you could?

Given one had a week to shadow anyone in tech, business, or otherwise who would it be and why?

• Richard Stallman
  • Linus Torvalds
  • Emmanuel Goldstein
  • Steve Jobs
  • Steve Wozniak
  • Jeff Bezos
  • Rob Pike
  • Other (list below)

0 voters

Personally, it’s a toss up between RMS, Jason Scott, and Linus Torvalds all of them are not afraid to speak their mind and have major contributions to the world of tech but Emmanuel Goldstein wins out just because he’s still got a strong community while still keeping both the magazine, convention, and radio show going even after all the battles and attempts for the powers that be to shut him down.

Plus I feel like one can learn a lot about effective communication from him.

It would be very difficult to shadow Steve Jobs for a week. Authorities don’t take kindly to someone digging up graves.

1 Like

I’d rather spend time with the unsung heroes that lay the foundations for the toys that get all the marketing hype. A week in the design labs of Bob Pease and Jim Williams would have been interesting - unfortunately neither are still with us. A week with analog guru and author Walt Jung would be insightful (Op Amp Cookbook). Without the infrastructure of engineers, designers and other “grunt work”, the folks that get all the media attention would have very little to hype.

4 Likes

being dead makes it super easy, not like he is going to wander off on you…and now I have the mental image of Weekend at Bernie’s in a turtleneck.

Elon Musk or Bill Gates. Linus would be next. Bezos is a Bozo so no go there.

1 Like

Woz, in addition to being good at what he does, he’s also reputedly personable and fair minded, which is an easier person to learn from.

1 Like