Who was Hatcher?

Major General Julian S. Hatcher was considered by many people that were familiar with the development and manufacturing of guns and ammunition in the 20th century as one of the foremost experts. Hatcher graduated from the Naval Academy and instead of going into the Navy he chose to go into the Army so that he had a chance to work on arms and ammunition.

Hatcher worked at the different Army Armorys during his 36 year career in the Army. He was involved with the design and manufacturing of small arms during the time of the greatest advancements in small arms.

Hatcher might have fallen into the obscurity that encompasses most people that do great things without seeking glory for it but he published several books that were well received by people that were interested in the details related to firearms. He did keep a detailed notebook Hatcher published his notebook in 1947. The title was “Hatcher’s Notebook: A Standard Reference Book for Shooters, Gunsmiths, Ballisticians, Historians, Hunters and Collectors.” This book is available from Amazon if you are interested in the reason many things are the way they are with guns.

I thought Using Hatcher’s name for our committee would help younger people that may not know much about the historical background of firearms be inspired into looking into the history behind them.

9 Likes

Thanks for the post. I’m personally not all that interested in guns or reloading but I was wondering about the name.

Gimli,
Yes, history lessons are often very interesting !
I’ve too many projects to get into reloading my own, but I am interested in the process.
Hatcher for a name is much more interesting than say “Colt” or other ubiquitous name/term that is firearm related
I’m retired Army and cannot honesty remember hearing about him.

Speaking of names and fire arms. My first fully automatic weapon* was a SINGER. It was years later that I ever used a sewing machine made by that company. (although I believe there may have been an English firearm company by that name)

• Vietnam era M16A1 issued to me in basic training. Later had a GM Hydramatic… Only when in a Medical unit did I actually get a Colt.
1 Like

This is a GM Hydramatic to me.

I had no idea they ever made weapons, or that not all M16s were made by the same company. The more I learn the more I realise how sheltered my life has been. Ya dun lernt me sunthin’! 2 sunthin’s!

1 Like

That what I thought, but it was an Automatic! But Instead on PRN12D it was: Safe, Single, Auto.

1 Like

My M16A1 was a GM model in basic as well and that was in the late 1980’s