Who wants to build a boxcar for the Redbull soapbox race

I know a push start is allowed.

I wonder about a rope pull starter. Once the vehicle is moving The rope is out if the vehicle, like a spinning top. I wonder if it is a better transfer of energy than pushing.

Or if it is like the Olympic sledding and the crew riding has to push start.

That would be one way to dominate the track lol

I love the idea of us making something for the Red Bull Soap Box Derby I actually had ideas for the Dragon. They Wings could be articulated plastic maybe with ripstop nylon painted for the membranes. The only problem with the dragon is it will not be fast if we wanted to try something a little faster maybe a sea monster, a seahorse, AR since we are they Dallas Makerspace a Pegasus we could even come up with clothing for the driver / Rider and even jewelry Farm. I can see somebody riding that dragon with large copper bracers a copper pictorial and some sort of a copper crown. We going to have a lot of fun get a lot of different folks working together on something and have a great advertisement for Dallas Makerspace. I can see us taking something like this out to events after the Red Bull race. Take that to the car Carrollton Town Square add the race car in and maybe something else and boy we’re going to have everybody looking and learning about Makerspace I’ll work on it

Count me in!

1 Like

Is there an official team? An Application process? Can I join? I can do some CAD and I have been trained on the CNC Router

3 Likes

Sounds like fun

Ok guys… lets set an official day on the calendar and build our plans… they have tobe submitted by the7th I believe…

What is a good time for most people?I can make myself available just about any evening

2 Likes

The first thing you need is a gravity racer that can deal with the obstacles.

A flintstones mobile!

When is the meeting for this?

When you make one? :wink: Haha.

lol. :blankspace:
sounds like a plan?

Whats the status of this project? I would love to help!

So… did this (or any other plans) ever grow legs?
Just wondering if I need to watch for any DMS entries if I get to attend this year… :crossed_fingers:

Applications are still open until the 15th.

The 176lb limit is potentially more of a challenge than it first sounds.

Brakes and steering are mandatory. Ability to survive catching air isn’t strongly recommended. The second speed hump most teams seem to catch air on, and the last one is really only a ramp.

Less than something like 1/3 of the cars actually finish the race.

Prizes may actually be awarded to teams that did not finish, so finishing fastest may only be a point of pride. Heck, just finishing is a point of pride.

1 Like

Coming up this weekend. I assume we have zero entrants with ties to DMS?

I would also assume as much considering the person submitting the idea left a few months ago in a blaze of passive-aggressive glory.

4 Likes

Why enter a race with no rules that can’t be won?? This strikes me as kind of a lame excuse for a party, but what the heck!!:partying_face:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: DMS participants in Red Bull Soapbox race - 9/28/19

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: DMS participants in Red Bull Soapbox race - 9/28/19