Who to ask? Woodshop basics credit

If there was a sign up sheet at the training, then you should be tagged with credit for the class. If there was no sign up sheet, then probably not.

I’m not aware of a way you can self-check the tags yet.

I don’t think I have seen this general question/issue addressed. Can someone provide a reasonably specific answer, please?

There needs to be. @AlexRhodes, I hope this addition can be considered for next version or release or maintenance cycle.

At present, we don’t have an official answer to this question. We implemented the new training system in January 2016, with upgraded classes and attendance taking at that time. Prior to that there are no records.

The issue is under discussion.

Appreciate it. Here’s to hoping we end up with a horse and not a camel.

I am not a member of the Wood Shop politburo, but I’ll make a suggestion anyway…give it whatever consideration you think it is due: For members who went through Wood Shop Basics (WSB )before Jan 2016 and have been using the Wood Shop at will, i.e. those who have clearly established Wood Shop credentials (e.g. myself, yourself @Tapper, @AlexRhodes, (no @)Tom Cook, @Azalaket, many others), can we set up day(s)/time(s)/place(s) where we can type our own names into the system?

If we choose those days/times/places to be an actual WBS class is being given, and therefore under the benign and watchful eyes of our august Wood Shop leaders, this would address a large part of the pre-2016 problem Wood Shop members.

Just a humble suggestion…

The problem is, as much as everyone hates to admit it, is that there are dishonest, incompetent people around DMS that want to punch their name in to the system, activate the SawStop, and play dumb (for instance, I’m not recalling a specific event). It’s easier, from a practical standpoint, to apply the rule “take the new class” than to use a subjective metric that could be subject to an accusation of playing favorites.

I’ve taken the new class, and still follow them around some when I happen to be there (rarely, it seems lately). It doesn’t hurt anybody to sit through a class that’s a couple of hours long. Use it as an opportunity to embark upon become a teacher yourself.

Like its stated above. Putting people in to an Active Directory group isn’t the problem. It’s the vetting of people who have taken the class vs the ones who said they did. I don’t have the perfect answer but I will leave that up to the woodshop group to come up with as a consensus decision.

I can appreciate the issues everyone’s brought forth and wonder if there is any idea when a decision will be finalized? All I wanted to do is sign up to take the new Incra router table class only to find out apparently the basic woodshop clearance I thought I possessed may not be valid and I’ve been breaking the rules for 7+ months :slight_smile:

If the decision is such that people need to take the new class then it needs to be everyone and not based on an arbitrary member deciding so-and-so is A-OK and can skip it. Otherwise we really do have a politburo and we’re into classic animal farm territory where “all members are equal but some are more equal than others”. Let’s not go there.

Edit: Just my two cents here; in the end we do have the committee structure and they will decide and so on. Hoping for a quick decision and then we can all move on I guess.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I took the class in August of 2015. I have been using the Wood shop since then. I understand the format has changed and so I may or may not have permission to either use the shop or take additional classes. I agree that it won’t hurt me to participate in another class - in fact, I welcome the opportunity. Actually, I am scheduled to take the “new” format class later in the month. I don’t have issues with any of this.

But here’s the issue … from what I read here on the Talk Forum, there are members (particularly new members) who can’t seem to get into a Woodshop Basics class. It seems like a shame for me to be taking a spot to get retrained while someone else can’t get access. (OK, maybe it’s not a shame in my case because I can always learn from another class, but you get my point).

5 Likes

John,

We definitely do get backlogged from time to time, however, lately we seem to be keeping up. It depends on how many new members arrive each week. If the demand gets higher, we probably have enough teachers now to add a class if necessary.

While entering all those attendance sheets this weekend, I was a little bit stunned how many people we’ve given the training to since we started taking attendance. More than 400 people have taken woodshop basics and lathe basics since January.

3 Likes

Hey guys,

So, I wanted to sign up for one of the Router classes we now have posted, but it requires the basics - which I already took. I was taught by @AlexRhodes . I’m pretty sure he remembers me (the one with poker table.) I followed all the steps in trying the ticket system…validating user settings, password, waited for things to sync up…even verified i have an AD account by remoting into the jump server. But i still cant create a ticket to have the credentials to sign up for classes.

Can someone please assist and manually update my account? I really don’t want to miss out on these upcoming classes.

Mike is working on getting the basic router classes entered, patience may be necessary while everything gets set up.

Is there a reason all instructors for any class are not able to do this. Or are they and there is just not a general awareness of it?

1 Like

I’m still getting the dreaded prerequisite notice …

Please update me in the system! Thank you!

Is there a way to check if we’ve been recorded correctly for classes we’ve taken?

1 Like

Yes, there’s a reason. Right now it requires elevated access to do it, and that’s something they are (understandably) reluctant to hand out. I thyink the attendance/roll features in the future will address this a lot more gracefully…

Not yet. This might be something to request in future versions though.

Sorry, i should have been more specific. I was trying to sign up for the basics router class, and it requires basic woodworking. That is the one i don’t have credit for. I want to take a router basics, and so far, i have missed almost all the basic router slots because basic Woodshop isn’t updated yet… :frowning:

1 Like

I am having the same issue as well. I am trying to register for the “Router Basics” and I get the “prerequisites” message too. I have completed the Woodshop basics as well as the lathe basics.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m trying to sign up for Router Basics for Sat the 24th at noon and it’s saying I need Woodshop Basics which I just re-took Wed, Sept 14th with Brian.

BTW…loved the new format and and the hands-on component that was missing from the earlier Woodshop Basics classes. I feel much safer and used the table saw morning without a hitch or a reservation, btw. Thanks for that! Well worth the $5 this time around!

1 Like

I’ve got two sheets not to enter in - I’ll try to get those done tonight. Open house has us a little behind…

1 Like