Who to ask? Woodshop basics credit

Who should I ask to fix this?

I took woodshop basics July 20, but I’m apparently not in the system as having taken it and it’s keeping me from registering for another woodworking class where that’s a prerequisite. I even actually managed to sign up for the basics class (via meetup) not standby. Was taught by @Tapper

Please help. I’d love to take this other class before it fills up. TIA

2 Likes

I also do not have my prerequisite logged.

1 Like

I also am missing my woodshop basic cert.

Looking into it - we haven’t entered the names in the system yet, so probably why its flagging y’all.

2 Likes

Same here. It would be nice to be able to provide a list of classes because presumably this will happen with certain lathe classes, multicam advanced and others.

Was just fixed for Multicam this week when the advanced class posted. But basing permissions on who took the class though, not who has passed checkouts. But woodworking basics is not prerequisite to Multicam or advanced.

Credit missing here.

Ok, Alex and I sat down and entered the name of every single person that took woodshop basics, and lathe basics since January 1, 2016 (when Woodshop Basics was revamped into its present form) into the system. It was a lot.

Hopefully it’s working fine now. There were a few names we couldn’t decipher, and several that had never created an active directory account. But I think we got 98% of you in the system now.

On the plus side, having names in the directory now makes it possible for us to begin checking compliance at some point. So fair warning, if you haven’t had the current class, you’d be wise to get in one soon.

3 Likes

So @tapper and I went through and entered all the names off the sheets we had. Some people we could not add because they are family members and the primary hasn’t set up their account. If you are a family member please make sure you pester your primary to create your account at DallasMakerspace.org/makermanager. If you are not a family member and took woodshop basics and still have an issue, please create a ticket.

Beat me by a minute!

All that typing practice today!

Will there be a mechanism for people certified previous to Jan 1 2016 to either enter their names or otherwise get them entered?

This whole situation pretty much BEGS for some sort of browser-based class attendance list app or process to be integrated into new class/calendar system. Get rid of the manual paper process and let students type attendance information themselves in at class time and instructor can hit send/upload information up at end of class. I know, I know…too few people in a world of unlimited wants and needs.

1 Like

Google forms is what you’re talking about. It’s probably coming in the near future.

Edit: as a instructor, pulling out a laptop to do this is a beating with all the other set up and the wake left behind the class. I tried it once (I should submit that list, if I didn’t make a paper form already…) and considered it extremely inconvenient.

Just want to mention @AlexRhodes and @Tapper have been working since like 3/4ish till now to get this done. Serious hours put in!

2 Likes

So don’t do that.

Post the URL. Let the students sign in themselves. Provide a device if you want. Otherwise, they won’t “get certified”, so it’s on the student to follow through.

Plus, since they HAVE to register, and pay, which is what ACTUALLY counts, isn’t all this moot?

2 Likes

System handles class credit now, so not a problem.

1 Like

Right, I forgot about this fancy new system.

Doesn’t there have to be some specific, affirmative action on the part of the instructor to certify someone actually showed up and did whatever was necessary to “pass” the class, as opposed to someone just registering and maybe paying a fee?

And yes…thanks guys for all the typing and squinting and deciphering. Much appreciated by those affected!

Appreciate the hard work here but when I still was unable to register for a class I went back and checked and I took woodshop basics Oct 17, 2015 and basic wood lathe Jan 16th. Do those efforts count and is there a way to see what prerequisites are associated with my account?

Thanks for catching us up. Is there a way to check what certs we have accrued?