Who’s the genius who mixed all the new router bits with the old ones?

While you’re organizational sytstem is clever, they literally came in a box with labels and picture of the profile! I don’t know why you thought that wasn’t sufficient enough of a organization

ahhhhh…the irony: you pointing out and complaining that someone acted thoughtlessly or without consideration for other wood shop users. Delicious…

All this post tells me is that I can expect the wood shop to look like some people had a dust fight on or around every tool you used, and that all dust collector blast gates will be inconsiderately left open, and that whatever sanding belts you used will probably be trashed, and that – similar to a child coming in from the playground and leaving a trail of his muddy shoes, then pants, then shirt, then underwear for his mommy to clean up as he heads to the bath – whatever misc tools, bits sleds, etc. will be left out wherever you were done with them for someone else to put back where they belong.

1 Like

Not sure if something has changed, but I’ve read/been told that one way recommended to clear the woodshop of airborne dust is to turn on both DC’s and open all the gates for a period of time (~1 hour?)

yes and no. No being for here at DMS Woodshop. Casual ambient dust, sure, but when people blow all the dust for tools and floor into the air, instead of cleaning with dustpan, broom and vacuum as they should, and then turn on D/C and open all the blast gates, all we get is dust all over the place in a nice even coat. We are under-powered at current time with respect to CFM, so once more than two (three at most) blast gates are open on one of our buses there is little to no effective CFM at any of the ports.

You may not feel it sucking at the vents the way you would like to, but with all the gates open you have minimum resistance on the suction and you maximize the flow through the blower so it’s taking a little bit from everywhere and putting as much as it can through the filters that are available.

No my thing is there was a perfect system in place for keeping the nice new bits separate labeled and organized, using your dust collector analogy it’d be like me saying ok so I know the dust collection system we have works relatively well, but instead from now on we’re just gonna have hoses that we can put our mouths on and suck really hard every time we use a tool! A shity solution to a non existent problem

The whole dust collector thing was a red herring introduce by Bert for some reason; i played along with him, but indeed, did regret it since it was a waste of time and immaterial to topic at hand.

You are right that bits should not have been mixed up, but my original point (pre-Bert), still relevant and true, is that it was ironic for you to complain at all about anyone making your efforts in wood shop more difficult since that is generally what you do for everyone else.

Although thanks for emptying some of the shop trash cans today.

Also, F = M * A and E = M * (C^^2). Make a note of it.

1 Like

You know what really pisses me off this will be an average night of working at maker space, they’ll be 15 -20 in and out all night who don’t do a single damn thing to clean up or close blast gates and they leave 2 am or 4 am but since I’m
The only one Who stays till other people get there at 6am 7 am y’all go look at the camera and go well the only person here in the last 2 hours was Chris so obviously this entire woodshop being in disarray is obviously just him and I’m fucking tired of this bullshit of being chastised as the only one who doesn’t do anything to help clean up when the reality is I either clean up for everyone who’s worked that night and all the messes they make on top of my own or get blamed as the one person who doesn’t do shit to clean up!

Dude, I’m sorry you are having a bad time. I’m not seeing anyone blaming you for woodshop messes.

This works on the honors system. You clean your messes, you are good.

Haha read the second part of the post before mine

Chris, I rarely say/assert anything I can’t meaningfully back up.

One of the very first time you and I interacted was after I watched you move from tool to tool leaving a trail of messes. You were new(ish) so I took the time to explain that this is a shared workshop, and that the need to respect other members’ making efforts is paramount. This meant “working clean”, I explained…if you are done on a tool for the time being, it needs to to be cleaned off and generally left ready for next person. You said, and I am trying to quote you here but may not be exact verbatim, “I can’t be bothered with that.” I took this to mean that when you had your game face on and were in your “maker zone” that the last thing on your mind was cleaning up behind you and that you felt it was OK to clean up whatever you felt like whenever you felt like, e.g. last thing before leaving. But as you point out, you are there for many hours at a time. I pointed this out and said that’s not how we have to do things here, since people will often be waiting for a tool to open up and they shouldn;t have to deal with someone else’s mess. You said you’d be more “correct thinking” or “approved thinking”, or something similar, going forward, implying you were being talked to like you were in a re-education camp or something.

You are correct…the cameras see all. You are a making machine…I am bowled over by your prolific output, in fact; I wish I had the energy!

I don’t know if there are any actual rules governing when pictures of someone can be posted, but I generally wouldn’t do it out of respect for someone’s privacy. But if you don’t care that I do so, I’ll post of few of you supporting what I am talking about. I don’t really want to spend that much time on this as I doubt it will have much impact on your behavior, so it would only be a few examples, i.e. a drop in the bucket, but I wouldn’t want to seem not ready, willing, or able.

Or, you can simply clean up after yourself each tool, each time, ideally starting with a clean area and then leaving it how you found it or better before moving on to next operation.

Chris, upon reflection here’s what I’d rather propose:

Rather than post all of the pictures/evidence publicly, how I about I PM you? We’ve talked enough and you strike me as pretty honest, if a tad lacking in self-awareness in this matter. BUT, if I can reasonably (not a 100% standard but somewhere between preponderance-of-evidence and beyond-a-reasonable-doubt standard) convince you I am right about your inconsiderateness and mess-making/leaving behavior, you agree to attend the next wood shop maintenance and clean-up day and either sweep or vacuum up 100% of wood shop floor and up to level of outlets (that’s like a couple of feet) and remove all of that collected dust, wood chips, whatever from the shop to the dumpster.

Does that sound like a reasonable proposition? All I ask is your word you’ll be honest and objective and not personally partisan. How does that sound?

No I’m not saying I’m innocent in this matter but literally no one can say they’ve never left a mess, and post all the pictures and proof you want because there’s not a person on here who doesn’t have proof of them leaving a mess, but what I’m saying is I’ve been pegged as a mess leaver so when you come in and it’s a mess and see me there you go ughh there’s Chris goes leaving a mess again instead of the reality of it being oh there goes Chris and the other 20 people who were in the woodshop last night leaving a mess, I get the brunt of all the fuck ups of other people, and I already attend woodshop matinance days! And the reason I originally took a blow you off attitude is because when you approached me your tone and demeanor wasn’t a hey by the way keep these close it was an insult to my intelligence saying so you probably haven’t comprehended this yet but let me make it simpler tone, which and this goes for anything and everybody the second you insult my intelligence I have zero interest entertaining anything that that person has to say after that! I’m not here saying I don’t make a mess