Who left the mess on the bridgeport mill?

someone used the mill, left the bit in the quill and a mess all over.
I will look at the camera when I get a chance. there WILL be consequences.
Unless you come back and clean it you can enjoy a vacation from the machine shop.

6 Likes

Probably the same person I had to clean up after on Thursday lol

1 Like

thank you for doing that.
…

When you have that rude reality chat with this character, remind them that if they choose to ignore the Committee area ban, you can drag their sorry arse before the BoD and request that they be banned from the Space until their manners/attitudes improve.

3 Likes

Might I suggest a different approach to the problem?

I realize this is a big no-no leaving a mess at a station, however it could be an innocent mistake. I have been working on a project at the mill, metal lathe, welder, whatever and be asked to help someone else with their project and next thing you know I’m helping them for an hour.

Then I get a call that I need to deal with immediately. I then have to remember that I need to clean up the station that I was originally at. I make it a point to leave my work area cleaner than I found it, but if for some reason it didn’t happen, it wouldn’t be because I didn’t value having a clean shop.

I’m not defending the act in the slightest, more suggesting that it isn’t necessarily someone giving the middle finger to the shop and leaving.

Maybe we track them down and ask what happened and give them a warning. After that, throw the ban hammer at them. Less pitch forky. Maybe have them come in and spend 30 minutes cleaning the area taking trash out, vacuum the metal lathe, sweeping the floor, etc, as penance.

3 Likes

They could just as easily send a PM to Nick or a quick post on Talk explaining what happened and when they’ll be back. This would show good faith. Even leaving a note would have been helpful. But to just walk off and leave the mess for the next person? Innocence or indifference?

Short of a flat out medical emergency, in a short 5 minute cleaning session of running the vacuum over it will get most of the mess can be taken care of. It seems we have a lot of those in our membership in all areas.

Agreed. It’s a very common problem, and I’m not defending it at all. Unless it’s a very public hanging, I don’t think it will change. I’m just saying let’s not go full pitch fork mob from the start.

Find em, warn them, make them pay a penance that matches the crime. Missed cleaning up at the mill for a few minutes? You get to clean up for others.

No I was there at 1:30 and just missed him. there were two people working on the drill press that told me THEY swept the floor up for him. He just didn’t give a crap and left.

I guess we’ll just have to disagree about expectations for adults and warnings and personal accountability for such basic things as cleaning-up after you’re finished.

Nick, I, and few others have higher expectations for “adults” or repeatedly warning them to “Clean up after yourself” I can see the occasional tool being left out - but when you work on the Bridgeport you make an unmistakable mess of your own creation.

When I train on the Bridgeport and Sherline, I discuss clean-up. That is beyond a warning, it is instruction on the requirement of tool use. I’m sure the others committees do the same.

We, DMS, are pretty forgiving if something goes wrong and we are told about it - that is true in my experience here at DMS in all areas, but not informing and just putting it back or walking away, that’s when it becomes a non-starter.

In my mind, this person doesn’t give a flip about anything but themselves and I wonder how they treat and use the tool - my assumption is they don’t care about that. Why do we want people like that using the machines?

Look at Wood Shop and the Mutlti-cam spoil board. Members are ruining it in a major way, the new one lasted two days. I believe the person that did that said they knowingly set the cut to go completely through the materials. I’ve taken the Multi-cam class, they repeatedly talk about how and why you set the depth so it doesn’t cut through. They verify that you know how to do this and CAN do it when you take the test. They show techniques for using tabs. Are they entitled to “a warning” for deliberately misusing and damaging the tool?

Word will get out that it’s not accepted or tolerated behavior.

2 Likes

Yes, but only when there are actual consequences for such actions, and preferably public consequences so that the ‘word will get out’.

2 Likes

I, unfortunately, don’t spend much time at the space, but with the little time I do and from my experience, this is more the norm than someone just “forgetting” to clean up! That excuse is simply an apologists rationalization to deflect heat and because they don’t like discipline from the tribe.

. [quote=“jottwell, post:5, topic:24192”]
Might I suggest a different approach to the problem?

I realize this is a big no-no leaving a mess at a station, however it could be an innocent mistake. I have been working on a project at the mill, metal lathe, welder, whatever and be asked to help someone else with their project and next thing you know I’m helping them for an hour.

Then I get a call that I need to deal with immediately. I then have to remember that I need to clean up the station that I was originally at. I make it a point to leave my work area cleaner than I found it, but if for some reason it didn’t happen, it wouldn’t be because I didn’t value having a clean shop.

I’m not defending the act in the slightest, more suggesting that it isn’t necessarily someone giving the middle finger to the shop and leaving.
[/quote]

Honestly, this sounds like an apologists argument to justify bad behavior.

I try to see your perspective and put myself in these shoes you are describing and it just doesn’t jive. If I were to be working on a project and had a mess and somebody asked me too help them, then i would tell them, sure, let me finish up and clean and I’ll be right over. Not drop my mess and just go help for hours, etc… that logic makes no sense and sounds like an excuse for bad behavior.

I see you are trying to tone down the rhetoric and accountability, but what you don’t realize is this person probably doesnt deserve it. Especilay, based on eye witnesses. So, I’m not buying it.

Ok, I’ve had a chance to review the tape and while I am not happy with how it was left, I see some effort was done to at least vacuum the table. He then helped a pair with something for them and I can see where he perhaps left it for them to clean since the new shavings was from their projects. No action will be taken, but I am watching.
Consider this matter closed.

4 Likes

Years ago while commanding a flight of airmen going to an ORI (Operational Readiness Inspection), I had an airman show up late for our departure. This is a court martial offense under the USMJ called “missing a movement”. He was a young airman and had little experience with deployments, but he still needed a reminder that this was unacceptable.

I chose instead to embarrass him in front of the entire flight. I dressed him down on the spot in front of the group. I also told him he was going to get every sh#t job during the deployment. Furthermore he was going to get to go to the chow hall last and had to clean up in his work area for everyone else every day. (It was only a four day deployment so this wasn’t a horrible penance.)

Some NCOs thought I was a little harsh, but it was a reminder to everyone that there are consequences for your actions and that their CO wasn’t going to tolerate disregard for the regulations or rules.

I’m with Walter, @wandrson we need to make an example of some of these people if we want to have any hope of making excellence the standard. I believe in tolerance and juris prudence, but willful neglect is unacceptable.