Who is responsible for new member information?

Which committee is responsible for the information provided to new members when they sign up? Would that be PR? Education?

I have created a document that I would like new members to have when they join the space. The basics of joining, what we provide, and what we expect.

1 Like

@thefinal is the person you want to converse with, but I am sure @apparently_weird and I would be happy as the coordinators for the groups you mentioned.

A lengthy response has been sent via DM.

1 Like

I teach the New Member Orientation classes, would love to have a good handout to give people.

1 Like

This is me reminding myself to get in touch with you to discuss if orientation has changed since I attended about 2 mo ago to see how it was done. Also. I addressed the OP via DM but I am trying to get something together for a working session for literature. So please keep an eye out on a poll because I really would like to get this finalized by EOY and would like to have you attend if you can!

1 Like

There is also a New Member 411 on the wiki, visible from the toolbar in the upper RH corner. You could link to your handout from that wiki, and you could also incorporate your info into the wiki page.

We have a wiki? I kid, I kid. I am thinking something that is emailed to the account holder when they sign up.

1 Like

I agree that would be nice. I just thought you could also link to it from the wiki.

1 Like

Being a new member, having some sort of document emailed to me would have been amazing! I’m the sort of person who will go searching for information I need but I know not everyone else is. Something as simple as links to the wiki, talk, calendar, etc. would probably be helpful for some (I know it’s on the web page but some folks may not always check there). Contacts for each area would also be helpful in getting into some of the training we need for the tools. People who don’t use forums often probably do not know to tag a group or person to get their attention. I use forums regularly and still forget to do that sometimes. All that to say, the simpler it is for a new member to get started the more likely they are to be actively involved.

Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

Did you not get the Welcome to Dallas Makerspace email with the New Member 411 attached? That’s supposed to be happening, as far as I know and we should be running it past @Team_Infrastructure to figure out why it’s not, if it’s not…

This is what mine looked like

EDIT: taken from here where a similar discussion happened: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/one-small-step-for-new-member-integration/47360

1 Like

I had to go back and look through my emails to see if I got something like that…and, of course, I did. I think I blew by the Member 411 piece because it was in a smaller text that made it look less important than the rest of the email. That’s my fault for not reading ALL the words.

1 Like