Who is in charge of the large format Inkjet printer?

Hey Guys I was hoping to us the large format Inkjet printer? I am not sure if I have seen any classes for using it or if you need certification on that machine? I thought I would ask here first. thanks everyone

We dont have one? We looked into it in CA and nothing was done.

He may be referring to the old Epson we used to have. But its dead, and either sold or slated to be sold.

@claybell … Do you know the status?

I think that it is sitting in the back of #102.

The one in the back of 102 is not one of the ones we used formerly.

There are 2 large format printers we used to run, in off site storage. They were not functioning when stored and not stored properly.

They are likely not ever going to be functional unless we put a lot of money into fixing them.

2 Likes

We do not have a working large format inkjet printer.

The remaining carcass of an old Epson is in the back of 102, but is a very stripped skeleton and not in any way functional.

A new one needs to be purchased. @BarkingChicken can correct me if I’m wrong but I think it is waiting until we expand. The old one was in the annex and the heat is what killed it prematurely and wrecked havoc with the ink. In the past the large format printer was a training required tool.

1 Like

No, a committee/SIG was formed last fall to make a recommendation for purchase of a replacement, and… nothing happened after that.

1 Like

Ah. Well, lol I’m not an expert on them or else I’d volunteer. I can do some general research though and find out what our current printhouse uses

Key element is low maintenance, since I don’t see anybody conducting daily maintenance (cleaning etc). Since we only seem to get about one query a month about where one is, I have to wonder if the demand justifies the cost.

2 Likes

I used to teach large format. The demand was definitely there. Similar to vinyl, lots of people used it for art prints or blueprints for large scale projects after running the Slicer. I did at least 2 classes a week and they were always full. I don’t think people have asked because they know the condition.

I’ll ask Abel and go from there.

3 Likes

i would totally use one if we had it running

6 Likes

I personally would love a large format printer. I’d pay for the cost of it in prints within 3 months! Exaggerated a bit but I really would use it weekly with my art. That’s one of the things I’m shocked yall don’t have already.

Hi guys/gals/etc.

I’ve been busy helping some friends get married but I’m free now.

Current status is I need board approval for the RFP. If somebody can (re)send me the address for the board (dallas makerspace’s BoD) I’ll get that submitted.

Thanks.

Clay.

1 Like

We did. 2 actually. One did extra wide and a general large format one. It lived in the annex of the original warehouse (wall with all the framing samples)…he died. RIP OG printer.

To make it an agenda item?

I assume so.

And yes the large printer did get used quite a bit, but like it was pointed out, broke frequently and those who used it knew it and knew who fixed it.

@BarkingChicken can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe protocol would be to bring the proposal to the CA committee FIRST before approaching the board. Monthly CA meeting is tonight (Thursday, June 13) at 7 pm.

4 Likes