White van in auto bay

I try to check the camera for the automotive area before I make the drive to Makerspace to work on my truck. I keep seeing a new Dodge Ram cargo van in the automotive bay. It’s there several times a weeks including today. Is working on the inside of a van worth taking up the automotive Bay? Is the automotive Bay for long-term van life builds or for people to work on their automobiles?

First, these are different vans going in and out.

These aren’t upholstery jobs; the guy in there as I write this is about to start cutting up body panels.

Others have been doing wiring and other work.

The only thing I don’t tolerate is taking up the bays when not working on the vehicle (like making furniture in the woodshop and letting it sit); test fitting can be done outside or separately.

Officially as I recall (@PearceDunlap can clarify since it’s logistics’ territory) but car work shouldn’t be happening outside unless it’s something that can’t be done inside (like the cruel bus, trailer work, something where the engine needs to run, courtesy when welding, etc)

4 Likes

What Jim said

5 Likes

I live an hour away, I’ve waited as long as 4 hours to use the lift but I’ve never waited near that long to just pull something in and work on it.

Our lease does not allow work on cars in the parking lot. Just passing this information on.

2 Likes

@William_Harris,

As voiced by others, there are several vans in and out of the space. This weekend was definitely mine. It is my first time taking van to space as I needed to cut into the panels and needed the right equipment. You may have noticed I worked almost all night long (to avoid disrupting others during the day). A few members worked on theirs cars this weekend as well, and I offered to move my van as needed to accommodate the space. Fortunately, there are two bays and we worked it out - shared the space, met some awesome members who really helped me out (shout out), and got the work done.

Understand how tough it is to make the long drive unless you are certain the space is available. In future, at least for me, just ask and I’m sure we can find a solution.

5 Likes

You can check out the auto bay camera online
https://dallasmakerspace.org/cam/

2 Likes

Big fan of the cameras and was frequently refreshing the site to make sure the lift was open when I did the suspension on my truck. Also helps to get in early…

1 Like