Which lasers work?

I’m a little confused, there seem to be a few posts about Donner and Blitzen being on the fritz, and when I got to the space Thunder has a small sticker above the control panel that says ‘Big Thunder is down. The lenses need to be cleaned.’ dated 9/23. The fusion has a sign that says ‘underpowered, use at your own risk’.

I’m unclear on which laser(s) are fully functional?

I was at the space this afternoon looking at the lasers. Donner needs to have the laser realigned so it does not cut well and you’re better off not using it. Just saw an update, Big thunder is down. Blitzen had an issue with a homing switch that was stuck but I tripped it and blew it out and it didn’t fail after that.
So as of noon, Donner needs alignment, Big Thunder down due to fire … Blitzen is working normally.

Last Friday, the computer normally designated for Blitzen kept losing the connection. The Big Thunder computer was able to successfully connect to Blitzen and stay connected.

1 Like

Would Machine Shop’s “out-of-service” red cone approach have helped?:

You can see one of the cones in the Camera for Machine Shop - Lasers would be real easy to see. It’s a simple visual flag. It would still have the note with it saying what the problem is - but you’d know what is out by looking at cam view.

1 Like

At 9am, Thursday Oct. 6, Blizten is unable to cut 1/8" plywood at 20mm/s speed and 66% power, which normally would be conservatively slow and high powered for this material. Tried same test on Donner with same poor results. Put signs on both. Seems effectively out of order unless cutting paper.

Summary: currently Big Thunder down and Blitzen, Donner, and Fusion not cutting well.

This is not a complaint - simply informing others.

Past reports of issues weren’t always welcomed, so it’s no wonder people don’t bother.

As always, a sincere thank you to all who help maintain the laser cutters!

2 Likes

Maybe we can have two different colors of cone. Lasers seem to be ‘down’ or ‘less than optimal’. A warning that the laser technical works but is currently struggle bussing would be nice.

Are we able to pin posts to the laser channel on talk? Maybe we can have one that just lists the 4 lasers and their status. I know I thought the big thunder was fine (aside from the reduced bed space) until I drove out to the space after work. I’d searched talk and it looked like the smaller ones were possibly oos but nothing about BT being nonfunctional. There was a tiny sticker above the control panel saying it was down when I arrived (dated 9/23). I think we technically have the tool status woki still? But that always seemed out of date.

Yeah it was taking multiple passes to cut cardboard last night. Although I don’t recall the final speed and power I used. I was able to engrave on wood, but had to take more passes than I thought I would.

Well, if you’re following the other thread, the biggest issue with BT is that whoever was using it when it caught fire didn’t post on Talk. One is never sure “why”. Are they not on Talk? We may never know, although – cameras. There again, having once been asked to try and identify a person on the camera, it can be a bit crazy.

1 Like

report it at all would be more accurate. Putting a post-it on does not count. We have GOT to TELL THE COMMITTEE when we break stuff.
Stop acting like children that fear repercussions. Be adults and help get it fixed.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I know, I was there when they found the damage, but there was a sticker on the machine about it being down on 9/23 and i can’t find any post about that at all, just a small printed sticker. shrug