Where's the Drill Press Chuck Key!?

Anyone aware of where the drill press chuck key is? It’s not anywhere in the vicinity of the drill press, e.g. stuck to the side where it belongs, as far as I can tell. It’s also not in the drawers of the lathe cabinets, as far as I can tell.

Sounds like it needs a chain

2 Likes

Cant agree with that more. Ive found it all over the shop in the past.

@mblatz as a temp fix you can use one of the Jacob chuck keys in the turning drawers, it was the same size last time I used it and couldn’t find the key.

1 Like

someone decided it was better if kept in woodshop annex :confused:

Makes perfect sense.

Sounds like you need FixItFreddy to FIX IT (as proposed). :+1:

much like loose clothing and headphone cords its probably not wise to put a chain on a rotary tool.

Maybe a retractable lanyard? Something that would not dangle, snap easy, and not hurt you; yet keeps it from walking away. Its also a cheap solution :slight_smile:

Having been in quite a few educations shops, I’m going to disagree with you. It’s time to act like big boys and girls. Chain does the job nicely and if caught breaks just fine.

This is not amateur hour at the comedy club, these are tools and they are dangerous.

yes, but that doesn’t mean we need to make them more dangerous.

We can agree to disagree

And a key that has the spring loaded pin in the center so it is much less likely to be left on the chuck, which solves most of the safety issues mentioned.

1 Like

One thing I always did when done was to pull out the drill bit from the chuck and insert the key into the chuck (jaws) and hand tighten this. that way it was always easily found with the drill chuck.
Now, I realize this will never work since it involves actually pulling out the drill bit when done. cheers!

4 Likes

Same general issue with the chain suggestion. Safety concerns or otherwise, eventually someone will be needing a chain and…“hey, I know where one is!”

I’d also be expecting the eventual post in “issues and requests?” forum: “Drill bit in drill is dull and needs to be replaced.”

1 Like

Makes me think of something we saw in CA earlier this week. The four thread overlock serger was taped off and marked as broken. What was the broken part or other issue? One of the cones was out of thread…

4 Likes

Things like this make me wish Talk had a facepalm response instead of the “like” heart…

3 Likes

I hereby grant your wish! :man_facepalming:

5 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah. We miss the retort plugin…

It there were enough of them, it would sound like applause and people would think they are doing good…sigh.

4 Likes