Where is the "donated equipment" area now?

There used to be an area near the lasers for donated equipment, but after the expansion, I’m not sure where this is now located. I have some various computer, electronic, and mechanical gear that I was going to donate.

2 Likes

The “Feeebie Shelf” is currently not available due to the challenges of COVID cleaning requirements.

As a workaround, you could post info about what you’ve got in the Makertrade Category here on TALK and arrange a transfer.

2 Likes

Ah, more COVID stuff. Makes sense. Thanks!

1 Like

Just as a clarification for anyone who reads this in the future. Any and all ‘donations’ to the makerspace must be accepted by a committee chair. Just leaving stuff (even with a note) for the committee to deal with is a no-no. If you don’t want it, there’s a decent chance that DMS doesn’t either.

Pre-Covid we used to have a shelf where members were allowed to leave items that they thought of worth to someone else, and it was a free-for-all (which is what I believe Eric here to be asking about).

4 Likes

If you want to know if the different DMS Committees can use some of your equip, I suppose you can reach out to each one on Talk, or perhaps you can do a post on Talk with an attachment to a list of what you have avail for any department that can use it/claim it?

I know in Ceramics we have a loaner printer from Julie that can print out sepia decals on special paper. In order for the printer to be functional it needs a computer/laptop that is compatible. If you have one among your items it would be very helpful. Please note: this computer addition would have to be okayed by the Ceramics chair/co chair and committee members. I am only giving a ‘for example’ of a possible department need.

If you are willing to donate to members in need or members who would like your items, posts on Talk have offered equip to folks for free.

If you need a 501C donation receipt for your taxes, then perhaps donation to a charity is best. Metrocrest is an excellent non profit org that helps the needy in Farmers Branch. They have a thrift store in Farmers Branch that is always in need of donations of stuff.

** Also, maybe Digital Media at DMS has a need for your equip, or the special Computer Room that is being set up at DMS, or the Common Room at DMS may need equip.

You do know we’re a 501c3 non-profit and can provide such a receipt, correct?

2 Likes

Indeed we are.
Have paperwork for such.

Yes, I know DMS is a 501C non profit.
But I thought IRS donation laws have changed in the last 8 yrs, where you have to have a minimum dollar amount of donation to each org before you can use it for your taxes. So if Digital Media, for example, took a bunch of cables that they really could use for the department, that one lot of cables may not add up in monies to equal the min amount allowed for a tax deduction for the person who donated them.

IF the monetary amount of the donation is the goal for the donor, then a bulk donation that could meet the min donation requirement by tax law would be the only way to go. Unless DMS could utilize the whole donation, then a charity route would work best.

It depends on the goal and wishes of the person or org wanting to donate.

** Please note: I am not in the business of tax law. This would have to be researched.

Until very recently (pre Covid), I used to donate a lot of my (art)work to charity silent auctions. I used to try and get donations from other artists (everyone has an older piece hanging around) or from local stores. Some were very charitable. Some weren’t siting that one item wasn’t expensive enough to get them a tax donation receipt that can be used. But laws and rules change all the time :slight_smile:

Perhaps what you are discussing is the choice to itemize your donations which requires receipts or just take the standard deduction. For many people it is not worth wasting time collecting receipts on items that do not add up to more than their standard deduction.

From Nerd Wallet website

• Weigh the costs and benefits ahead of time. Itemizing can take more time than if you just take the standard deduction, and it may require more expensive tax software or create a higher bill from your tax preparer. Plus, if your standard deduction is more than the sum of your itemized deductions, it might be worth it to abandon itemizing and take the standard deduction instead. If you abandon itemizing, however, you abandon taking the deduction for what you donated.

Here are the standard deduction amounts by filing status. Again, if your standard deduction is more than the sum of your itemized deductions, it might be worth it to skip itemizing (and thus skip claiming those tax deductible donations) and take the standard deduction instead.

Filing status 2020 tax year 2021 tax year
Single $12,400 $12,550
Married, filing jointly $24,800 $25,100
Married, filing separately $12,400 $12,550
Head of household $18,650 $18,800
2 Likes

Yeah. One of the things in the “simplify your taxes” changes was that they raised the standard deduction so high that most regular folks never get close enough to the $ amount to make it worthwhile.

And @divineutopia – you can deduct any amount you’ve given – if it’s worth itemizing for. Using the 2020 numbers, your $12,400 deduction could completely be $25 donations to 49,600 charities.

2 Likes

I think Beth means $0.25 donations (or perhaps 496 charities).

2 Likes

Question: Does anyone know if one non-profit can donate unneeded stuff to another non-profit without running afoul of any rules?

Shouldn’t be any problems with this.
As always - document - picts, receipts, etc.

I believe we can. We used to be told that we could donate things to another 501c3 without running afoul of any rules. For that matter, probably any charity would be acceptable.

1 Like

Know this is a year old, dead thread but they did change the tax rules for '22 so that anyone can claim up to $300 in cash or non-cash charitable donations even if they take the standard deduction rather than itemizing. If you made a cash donation (excluding membership dues), it’s totally worth it to get a receipt and claim your free deduction!

1 Like

Yes and no. It’s for cash charitable contributions only.

1 Like

Ah yes, you are correct! I’ll edit my post.
I itemized anyway this year, so I had both available to me.

1 Like

I’m new here, but have been 3D printing since 2012.
I have an original Mosaic Palette in great condition I would like to donate to the Makerspace.

Is there any interest in this, and if so, how should I proceed?

Thanks!

@Evan_Lott would have to accept on behalf of the committee

Howdy!

Sounds like a nice addition to the Space. Definitely something I’d like to accept.

Feel free to leave it in 3D Fab, or I’ll be up there tonight and probably Wednesday evening if you’d rather meet in-person.

I don’t have any experience with any of the Palletes, so I’d love an intro if you’re up for giving one!

Best,
Evan

1 Like