When is the next JSM meeting?

I joined back in October. November was spent learning a lot. I’ve been taking classes. I’m ready to share my knowledge and skill.

I’m a JA Certified Bench Jeweler, Graduate Gemologist, and active bench jeweler since 1995. I’ve been looking at things that people might need, classes, ideas and processes that people are interested in. What I’m lacking right now is what is currently available, so I know where to fit in around the edges.

Oh, says I to himself, I’ll attend the next JSM meeting and introduce myself there. I’ll be quiet, listen, and offer perceived need. Except…

If there’s not an open meeting, would one of the committee members be willing to sit down with me and catch me up?

And finally, any general followers of this committee, what sorts of things do you want to learn? Bearing in mind that I work almost exclusively with fine jewelry, gold, platinum, silver, diamonds, gemstones.

~David

6 Likes

Paging @nausser915 (committee chair)

Welcome!

1 Like

Hi David! Sounds like you can bring a wealth of knowledge to the jewelry department and I would love for you to join us. Our next committee meeting will be the first week of January, a date is still TBD. However, I am at the Space frequently and sure we can catch up before then if you want. PM me and we can go from there. I am looking forward to meeting you!

2 Likes

Glad to have you, i ma one of our foks doing art jeweley, instead of fine jewelry,
So you can do things I cant do ( and since my major vision loss, msny ginr jrerlty yrvhniques are nt
available to me)

Welcome! We for sure need tool training like the rolling mill and vulcanizer/casting equipment. I’ve had the most success letting people learn the mechanics in copper/brass and sometimes silver before they have the confidence to upgrade to gold.

In the past there’s been sawing/piercing classes, plans for some basic stone setting like bezel cups, but if you build a series of them it’d be fabulous to take a prong setting class or how to do tube setting!

1 Like

First week of January. Can do! If I’m not working, that is. In any event, Joseph, I’ll ping you next time I’m planning on being up there, see if there’s a time we can mesh and sit and chat some. I’ll have a table at the MakerFaire next Sunday, too, so anyone can come by and chat and keep me company…

Piercing, bezel making, soldering… I can think of some of the projects I was made to do back in school (if I can remember back that far). Maybe teach some of those. Also, I’ve been thinking about what I do while I’m doing it, and realized I have a LOT of nuanced muscle memory that will be extremely difficult to teach, if not impossible.

But to begin with, piercing, soldering, and stone setting sound like the most needed/desired skills. I’ll start putting together a curriculum. then submit it for some time in January.

4 Likes

I am offering a rolling mill class at least once a month It tends to include the disc
cutter and the bench shear also

The casting stuff I leave to others

Those would be some great classes !

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon. New member jewelry artisan here. Would really enjoy the opportunity to teach classes and I am keeping my eyes on the calendar for any classes in January I can register for.

I’m hoping to expand my knowledge and eventually seek bench jeweler certification!

1 Like

If I can get to it I will be putting up some Jan classes, likely a rolling mill class
later in the month, I am about to order some brass banding that can be used for designs

Other likely classes are foldforming and chaos wrap and a class in using semi dispoable aluminum trays to amke earring that are colored with alcohol inks

That’s great. Formfolding :grin: How awesome is that. Any materials that you need help with for classes just lmk! I would love to help make these happen.
I’m emplyed at a studio full of artisans who would really benefit from these. Thanks Cairenn!

I tend to teach with copper, It has similar working characteristics to sliver and
it is a lot less expensive I buy copper sheet from McMurry metals on
Main Street in Deep Ellum About $5 for a 12 x12 in sheet lot better price than
ordering it from the wholesalers

2 Likes