Wheel Alignment

I’ve went to a mechanic and sort of lifted the car up. I really can’t see any sign of bending in the lower control arm. The car doesn’t have an upper control arm. I guess that leave the struts which I can’t check without taking them out.

I am considering now to go to the Hamm’s tire this weekend. I hope I will be able to at least figure out what the problem is rather than wandering around.

Thanks for the offer Tom. I will reach out to you if I can’t figure this damn thing out.

most strut type shocks will leak when they are shot - look for road dirt on the top of the strut (if visible) dirt that clings to the oil (and yes, even gas shocks/struts contain oil) leaking from a component tends to stand out.
Does the car rebound (bounce) excessively after a large bump ?
If you push down hard and release on a front corner (knee on the bumper works) does the car continue to move (bad) or raise smoothly and stop (not bad).

What - was your car doing before taking it into the alignment shop?

“Why not take take the simple $50 lift class”

When is the next one?

I’ll show you how to use the lift safely - it is my old lift that I donated, and I’ve “taught others at the space”
I don’t collect the money that is a Brandon gig
It is not rocket science

1 Like

No, the car wasn’t bouncing. I haven’t seen any oil leak.

Before taking to the shop (and even now) the car just pulls to the right. I don’t hear any odd noise coming. Well, once in a while when i turn right all the way, i hear a metal on metal screeching noise. Not sure what the source is though.

What throwing me off is that the guy said there is no more thread left to adjust the toe but the car was running straight before this. Which obviously (to me) mean something is bent.

BTW, if you don’t trust the brand name stores just for simple wheel alignment, what are they good for ? oil change ?:smile:

The first thing to check when ANY car pulls to the left or right is check the air pressure in all four tires - there should be a decal on one of the door posts that shows the proper pressures for front and rear. It could be as simple as that.

I do my own maintenance - and No the franchises (esp the jiffy lube types) are the worst for oil changes. They are notorious (just like “just crooks” (I mean just brakes) for selling you a list of work you don’t need, or causing parts to fail that NEVER need replacing in the life of a typical car/truck.
Find an independent “mom & pop” garage near you - preferably by word of mouth - not by their website.
There are a couple in the Lewisville area, and many many in the DFW/Denton area - where are you located?

Spend the one time $50 fee and use my old lift at the DMS to change your own oil and filter. This way you will KNOW the proper oil was put in and that the oil and filter was actually changed. If you don’t know how and want to learn - I’d be happy to help you.

You cannot do a realistic alignment by “hand” anymore - ball park it “yes” in order to get it aligned on a decent rack by a tech that might even know what he or she is doing.

Long, long ago I was a German car tech - later after retiring from military aviation, I worked for the largest wholesaler of imported car parts in the USA - from real time experience as a tech way back and more recently in wholesale sales - I would NEVER recommend a franchise. EVER.

2 Likes

Gosh. I might have ruined my car already then. I’ve frequented to the Jiffy lube by my place for last few years :). Well, never anymore.

I actually do have an independent mechanic who I trust that will not screw me over. I live in Arlington. That is another reason why I can’t go to DMS that much. These days I only go to meet my cofounder. I was never a “car guy”, but I am slowly getting interested, specially after this experience.

It’s addictive, and fun, to fix your own vehicle!

I just recently replaced both front brake calipers and rotors on my truck and the smooooth stopping was worth all the effort. It took perhaps 4 hours, including setup and cleanup time, so it’s a nice weekend job.

Nor am I, but there are many automotive maintenance and repair jobs that you don’t even need to be a shade tree mechanic to handle.

With a resource like the DMS and several folks willing / able help/guide/show etc - most can tackle routine maintenance and several repairs. There are repairs on newer cars that cannot be performed without specialized scanners & proprietary software, but for most at the DMS this is not a problem.

1 Like

Hi Tom,
Steve Jonas here. I completely agree with your comments. I am new to the forum and apologize if I was supposed to start a new thread but I am responding to Tom’s comment “With a resource like the DMS and several folks willing / able
help/guide/show etc - most can tackle routine maintenance and several repairs.” I have recently been quoted $400 to change all four brakes (pads only, not new rotors) and although I have not done a lot of auto repair, I am certainly capable. I have watched some videos on changing the brakes of my car and want to go ahead and do it myself. I would need to learn how to safely operate the lift and if someone were willing to guide me for my first time I would be grateful. Paying the lift fee would be fine as well.

I’d also be interested in learning to use the lift. I need to replace a leaky strut.

Honestly, if you’re just replacing pads, you’ll be just as fast using one of our fast jacks and a jackstand rather than the lift. the lift is great for working UNDER the car, but to the side like rotating tires and changing brakes, not having to walk around or avoid the lift poles may make it easier.

If I’m here, I’m happy to help out… I’m the one often working on my big, white Jeep.

-Ian

1 Like

Thanks Ian! I was thinking of the lift because a) I would like to learn how to use it for other things as well and b) I seem to do better when standing with work at eye level. Either way, lift or jacks, I’m going to need some light guidance. Is there a time that if i came you would more likely be available to give me that guidance?

The lift is definitely a great tool to get trained on… Didn’t mean to come across as don’t get trained on it. My schedule is undetermined at best, but I’ll likely be there this Saturday AM (gotta do a few quick things to the Jeep) and mid week next week.

grumble grumble On of the irritating things about our current insurance is that we can do no such thing. Only SAE certified mechanics can give clasess.

Blows my mind the level of stupidity this is, but that’s the current situation.

You mean the insurance policy that is kept a secret? I would expect a member funded non profit would have that policy posted for viewing - maybe it is - I don’t know. But as much as I loathe the “ASE” requirement - I would like to see it in writing, instead of it being a “good idea”.

I used to be “ASE” certified long ago before it was shortened to “ASE” - what a joke ASE is. Plus NONE of the European manufacturers recognize “ASE” certifications.

I’m all for do a “show and tell” when I can help others - that’s what the DMS is for.

1 Like

Tom, I understand you donated the lift. From all of us at DMS that have not said so, thanks! I’m going to change my own brakes at DMS. I’m not looking for someone to “teach me” as that is not allowed, however, having someone who knows about the lift, the lift jacks and general car maintenance that I can bounce some questions off of would be really great and YES, it is one of the main reasons I joined DMS as we get to share knowledge with each other, figure out things together and nourish a community spirit. Personally, I would think the liability for a place like DMS would be increased by not allowing members to assist each other. Can you imagine telling someone who wants to use a tool safely that they “have to figure it out for themselves” LOL. So if you or Ian or anyone else that knows about car maintenance will be around on Monday, I would like to try and do it then. Cheers!

Nothing says we can’t meet off site somewhere and teach people the procedures. None of this is rocket science, as you know. Getting the right SST and unfreezing rusted parts are the biggest part of my repairs, typically.

sjonas41:
I hope to be the dms monday around 7pm
Brakes are one of the easiest maintenance / repairs you can do on your car. Some cars & trucks are easier than others. Showing you “how to” on one corner isn’t “teaching” in my opinion, then you do the other or the rest.
Brakes are also 80% of the independent garage’s service and revenue.

Zmetzing: My truck is originally from Pennsylvania - Removing chassis / suspension / drive line hardware is a royal pain in the arse at times. Anti-seize is mandatory for most parts in reassembly.