What's the first thing you ever made at DMS?

Not including previous DMS ladybird location(so after July 2014), what’s the first thing you ever made at DMS?

After woodshop was functional in August 2014 after the move I created the steps for the tall dock, was the first time I tried using sketchup

If buildout of the space itself was included might be the common room tables which we started welding frames before the move from Ladybird to Monetary

An honorable mention from ladybird location would have to include the supersonic ping pong ball launcher from Feb 2013:

8 Likes

First thing I made was a $50 payment.

Very common project.

14 Likes

Just a reminder.

Please take pictures.

Anything fun during the move. Herculean efforts. DMS folks being DMS folks. The HAAS Mill being moved, akin to a small elephant on rolleskates.

A month after we get settled into 102 will be too late.

7 Likes

I bought, well… another member picked them up since he was going to Home Depot… some polycarbonate plastic sheets and used them to fix a pinball game.

My Blackwater 100 had the typical cracked playfield plastics and replacements are unobtanium so I took the pieces that broke off, glued them back into place and molded supports for them out of the polycarbonate. It was an interesting task of cutting, sanding, filing, using the Dremel, and heating/bending the parts into shape. I used a Dremel, saw, heat gun, file, drill, knife, and some props to bend/shape: a 10 x 10 art square and a piece of round duct work.

The plastics were drilled and screwed into place under the plastics and the gap filled with RTV to cushion the impacts. They’ve held up for a couple of years now.

4 Likes

See the Dizzy Fling in the back! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwuyxoFecJM

3 Likes

I made a stick. A flat, straight, 1x1 about 18 inches long, milled out of a piece of 2x8 in Woodshop Basics. Thanks @Tapper I still have that stick somewhere.

6 Likes

One of my first projects at DMS was cleaning the laser right after the move from Ladybird. The bed was gummed up and the area under it was a greasy sticky mess. Don’t have picts - was more interested in getting the job done as opposed to documenting. However I did make this post.

Not exactly a “make” project, but a project none the less.

4 Likes

I laser etched and cut the lenses for these Steampunk Goggles.

I joined to get access to the lasers and then someone said, “Hey, mind helping out in Leather?”

16 Likes

Not quite"made" but made a donation - the lift in automotive.

That was 3 years ago

11 Likes

They are acrylic lenses.

1 Like

I remember those :wink:

While there were a few learning moments in an interative process… I believe my first completed project was:

6 Likes

This was the first - reloading bench for what became Hatcher’s Workshop.

This was the second - the pink knob on the reloading press.

Russell Ward

3 Likes

Haven’t made anything yet, but I plan to do some 3D printing tonight before the multi-cam router class. My son has given me a very large list of D&D figures he’d like me to make.

5 Likes

I joined because someone said “hey, mind helping out in Leather?” The first thing I made on my own (not as part of a class) was this green lantern ring.

9 Likes

I made friends. Both locations.

Yes. And glasses, bottles on the rotary as well.

6 Likes

Does a committee count?

3 Likes

I made either a SIG or earrings. Can’t remember which was first…

2 Likes

The first thing I made (with help) was this jewelry tree…

I made three, two were Christmas gifts for family members and this one I kept for myself and still use. Several of the earrings on the tree I made at DMS as well :slight_smile:

Tools used: Full Spectrum laser and woodshop

7 Likes

I don’t specifically recall the first thing I made at the new location. This is the first thing I took photos of though.

Bonus entry, this is the first thing I made at Ladybird in March of 2013. A camera gimbal for a hexacopter I had previously built.

Another bonus entry for the first time I saw someone else make something at Ladybird. Romeo made fajitas and they were delicious!

6 Likes

In the picture, starting at bottom left: Otto wagner, Mark Havens @mrhavens , Heather Williamee @Heather_Williamee , Romeo Espana @Romeo_Espana, and me. Looks like Otto is als taking a picture.

3 Likes