What's the best free CAD program for 3D printing?

SketchUp has “components” which can be included by reference, so you could create a rod component and use it multiple times. Changing the component would change all the uses of the component. This isn’t as flexible as parametric design because you can’t make negative components ( like the M5 vs M3 holes in your example), nor can you use the same parameter in different components like a slot and a tab sharing the same parameter.

I don’t believe TinkerCAD supports components or parameters, but I’ve not tried to do so.

The Prusa Printer is a great example of parametric design; the whole printer spec is controlled through OpenSCAD files. If you wanted to swap out a heavier (and bigger) stepper or change the bed size, there are parameters controlling those specs, and the changes would flow through the various plastic parts as well.

1 Like

FreeCAD is parametric. It supports assemblies and separate parts.

I believe it also can import and directly work with OpenSCAD objects. There’s a workbench for it, but I haven’t needed it yet.

Not yet sure how it’s CAM works. I intend to find out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I like FreeCAD, but I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea etc. I’ll be using it more often again, but here’s a situation where the iterative nature of parametric CAD paid off for instance:

I played around with it again last night to try out the a2plus module and assemblies.

1 Like

I really like the concept of OpenSCAD a lot, but some of it makes me yearn for a more powerful programming language. People have created the Javascript equivalent in OpenJSCAD (https://openjscad.org/), but it’s not really taking off AFAICT. I REALLY wish they were both using a more powerful engine behind them than OpenCSG, but I’ve played with Open CASCADE before and I can understand the turn off :slight_smile:.

I also like the concept behind something called CADQuery (https://github.com/CadQuery/cadquery). It uses an Python API and he kinda based the queries in it for selecting geometries off of jQuery. This has apparently been added as a “workbench” within FreeCAD. I REALLY like the concept of generating parts with a programming language in general.

2 Likes

I don’t know how far I’ll be able to get with it, but my plan is to try to do the CAD and CAM for the domino in FreeCAD. If it works, it’ll be a good start.

1 Like

I’m serious about being available to help run the machine when you try. It’s important to have free options that can’t be taken away.

2 Likes

I figured you were. It’ll be a bit before I’m anywhere close to having something to try on the machine, but I will certainly get with you when I get to that point.

If you want to be in on the precursor stuff too, we can meet up at the space sometime.

Sorry to go off on this tangent on OP’s 3D printer thread. There are two similar threads running and I accidentally crossed the streams…

3 Likes

I have liked OnShape. It is free for personal use and browser based which is nice since your files are accessible anywhere. You can import and modify Solidworks files with it too, which is great.

1 Like

AutoCAD includes LISP as a programming language for automating part generation. I did LISP programming back in the 80’s - I would not look forward to using it again.

1 Like

No apology needed. All comments here are at least as close to the original as on most other topics.

1 Like

I’m not sure why, but this Russian to English dictionary site has the most comprehensive list? :slight_smile:
https://www.multitran.com/m.exe?s=Lisp&l1=1&l2=4

Yeah I had a semester of Scheme, which was a derivative of Lisp. Lambdas, car, cdr, etc.

2 Likes

“the car of the car of the cdr”

* * twitch * *

1 Like

Angus on Maker’s Muse just did a great video on different CAD packages. He has a great 3D printing channel if you are not already subscribed.

5 Likes

That’s a great video, as usual, from Angus. Looks like he got 796 comments in 8 hours! FreeCAD seems to be mentioned as often as anything as an alternative.

I use Fuson 360 only for generating 3D printer files. I think the only impact to me is the limit of 10 documents which I can work around fairly easily.

I was concerned that extensions were going away. I scanned comments and one person expressed concern. Here is the reply from Angus:
“Not to defend them but they’re referring to manufacturing extensions not scripts/add-ins according to the faq”

Looks like I will continue to use Fusion 360 but spend time coming up to speed on FreeCAD before Autodesk adds more limits or do not let me renew.

Thanks for all the useful info from so many folks! Keep it coming!

Have not really messed with it so please forgive the bone headed question but how as a member would I access solidworks?

To use the Premium copy (permitted for commercial work) it’s located on the Jump Server, for which you can use RDP:

You can find all information on using the Jump server via our wiki: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/JumpServerFAQ

For the Home copy, which is limited to non-commercial work, you have to request your license:

Follow the instructions in this thread to get a free Solidworks license as a benefit of the membership:

Then follow these instructions to download and install the program:

1 Like

@David_A_Tucker this looks awesome, is this still a thing? I tried PMing you about solidworks but it looks like my talk permissions haven’t been updated yet.

I responded through Talk, but I don’t know if you can receive messages with out-of-date talk permissions. You can reach me by personal email, which is listed here:

Simple fix. In order to initiate PMs, Trust Level (TL) 1 (BASIC) must be acquired. We need to spend enough time on the site to hit the necessary targets. We can track our badges on our profile to see what “trust level” we have attained:

As mentioned on the “read first” thread READ FIRST: Welcome to the Dallas Makerspace
the quickest way to to achieve TL1 or better is to interact with DISCOBOT; look for the “Welcome” PM from Discobot, and play along to learn about Discord and how to interact with it. TL can be increased through regular use as well, but that shortcuts the process in a fun, educational way.

Yes, TL0 can respond to PMs, simply cannot initiate, as enumerated in the pinned “Read First” thread READ FIRST: Welcome to the Dallas Makerspace