What's cooking? Q1 Q2 2023

Make us drool with your successful dishes. We’ll commiserate with your failures.

Pics/recipes appreciated!

2 Likes

I made Tahchin, a persian saffron rice cake with yogurt and egg.

Recipe:

• 2 cups of aged basmati rice (I use royal) soaked for 2 hours at least
  • 1 cup of plain full fat yogurt (Indian yogurt is good)
  • 2 Eggs + however many yolks you want (I like 3 or 4)
  • A heavy pour of saffron water (I’d say a tablespoon? Depends on how colored you want it)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Half a cup of Zereshk (barberries). Can use cranberries instead if you can’t find them (Shahrzad in Richardson sells them)
  • 1 Tbsp of sugar/honey/sweetener
  • Oil
  • Butter
  1. Candy the Zereshk on medium low heat with half a Tbsp of butter and your sweetener. They should plump up and get a little bit toasty. Should be a few minutes at the most and set aside

2. Mix the yogurt, egg, saffron water, and seasonings in a separate bowl and set aside.

3. Fill a large pot (at least 5 quarts) with salted water and bring to a boil. Put the rice in there and cook for 5/6 minutes until it is 75/80% done. It should be tender but have some bite to it. Drain with a collander and then combine the rice with the egg/yogurt mixture until well incorporated.

4). Cover your pot with a large amount of oil and butter, at least 1/4 of a cup, if not more. You need to be generous to prevent it from sticking and to get a good crispy bottom.

5). Layer half the rice on the bottom of the pot, being sure to press down to get good contact.

6). Layer on half your zereshk

7). Layer on the rest of the rice, cover the pot with paper towels or a regular towel to catch any steam.

8). Put the lid on the pot and cook for about half an hour - 35 minutes on medium/medium low settings. This depends on how strong your burner is and how dark you like your crust.

9). When the rice is done (it should be golden brown on the sides), take a serving plate, put it on top of the pot, and confidently flip over both so that the tahchin falls onto the serving plate.

10). Top with the rest of the zereshk and pistachios if you’d like and serve with yogurt and salad.

19 Likes

This looks amazing!!!

3 Likes

Thanks Julie!

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

Whole wheat toast
Egg over easy
Havarti cheese
Rosemary ham
Sauteed mushrooms

And of course some Puerto Rican coffee.

Cups and plates by @Anette_Henningson

10 Likes

Looks good. Would make a killer sandwich for any meal of the day, not just breakfast.

1 Like

Roasted Rack of Lamb with Mint Pesto, Swiss Chard and Celery Root Puree

13 Likes

Not my best, was lacking the romano and Parmesan cheeses, but it was still awesome…

Italian beef ravioli bolognese.

7 Likes

Got me wondering how Italian beeves are different than American…

Looks absolutely delicious. The cook on that lamb is perfect.

Thank you. I’ve been a chef for 16 years. I do private events all the time. From small intimate dinners to large family gatherings. Let me know if you’re ever interested!

1 Like

IMG_2009
I was surprised at the flavor. No salt roast
Skillet Beef Short Rib Pot Roast

• 6 to 8 beef shortribs, preferbly bone-in
  • 2 onions, large chop
  • 5 to 6 carrots, large chop (about 2 cups)
  • 8 oz. mini golden potatoes, cut in half (or more if desired)
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 3 cups organic beef stock (unsalted)
  • 3 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 8 oz. button mushrooms, cut in half
  • light olive oil as needed
  • needed: 12" cast-iron skillet*
7 Likes

I made Ghormeh Sabzi, which is a persian chopped herb stew with lamb, kidney beans, and dried lime.

9 Likes

Made borscht. It was way more food than i was expecting, but very tasty

12 Likes

Meat-free meatloaf (made with Beyond Beef and Impossible Sausage), seasoned skillet potatoes, and plain old green beans. Basic home cooking’.

9 Likes

I’ve made kabob taibei before with impossible. While it doesn’t reheat that well, it is some amazing stuff

2 Likes

Vanilla oat milk cake with an elderflower cream cheese frosting for my son Connors birthday yesterday.

6 Likes

How’d it turn out?

I need to do more baking, radically different than traditional cooking. I remember doing an avocado pound cake a few years back that was delicious.

2 Likes

My son’s co-worker gave him another partial box of food from the pantry she volunteers at… and in it were some sweet potatoes.

Tonight’s snack: Diced sweet potato, pan deglazed with hard cider, and topped with cinnamon wildflower honey.

5 Likes