What's cooking? May 2022

Make us drool with your successful dishes. We’ll commiserate with your failures.

Pics/recipes appreciated!

3 Likes

Went to a get together with a couple friends yesterday evening and wouldn’t you know it, a shrimp boil broke out.

In all honesty, we really hadn’t planned on doing that until one of us said “hey is anyone else hungry?” And we all agreed that shrimp sounded better than pizza, lol

8 Likes

Veggie fajitas were on the menu this evening.

Onions, grape tomatoes, poblano and bell peppers, and two kinds of mushrooms.

7 Likes

My son wanted to make a traditional Spanish dinner, so we worked together to make fresh gazpacho and bocadillo de bacon with jamon, manchego cheese, and a fried egg. I made pan de cristal (translated as glass bread) for the sandwich buns. I have to say, the sandwiches turned out great.

9 Likes

14 lb choice brisket that was on sale at Tom Thumb. Dry aged in the fridge for 3 months, then smoked on a Barrell House 18C. Total cook time including wrap and rest was about 20 hours.

10 Likes

Mushroom Swiss Beyond Beef burger on a cheese roll.

Satisfying.

4 Likes

Pan fried honey butter pork chop with seasoned broccoli and Cole slaw. The chop and broccoli were from a Home Chef package: Cole slaw was from the grocery.

5 Likes

I need help from the recipe hive mind. I’ve been invited to a dinner party and the host is really into retro stuff and has always joked about serving us some 50s era jello mold dinner.

I need a Mexican style, savory jello dish recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Not sure this is “Mexican”, but it has jalapenos and lime in it…

1 Like

Not a “savory”, but probably more “Mexican”.

1 Like

This one mentions “Mexican” words like “tamale” and contains “gelling agent” (agar)… Not savvy enough, myself, to understand, but the directions include “place in mold to set”… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That looks perfect! You want me to save you some? :grin:

1 Like

Maybe next time… but I’d sure love to hear about the experience and maybe a pic or two.

1 Like

Also bumbled across this, and thought it was nifty, if not terribly “Mexican”.Could be a good base for other stuff, I’d think.

1 Like

But so, so incredibly 50’s.

2 Likes

I think if you left out the gelatin and the sugar and prepared it cold, it’d be just fine as a dip for veggies or chips.

2 Likes

Chicken adobo and kale salad with lemon dressing.

4 Likes

Did a Mother’s Day feast!

6 Likes

@Bri_Gearhart made some AMAZING Crockpot Tortellini Lasagne

6 Likes