What's cooking? June 2022

Make us drool with your successful dishes. We’ll commiserate with your failures.

Pics/recipes appreciated!

I made a coffee gelato yesterday and it’s really nice on a hot day. Hit it with some dark chocolate shavings and :ok_hand:

5 Likes

From scratch pancakes.

1 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp oil
Vanilla extract
Dash of almond extract
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

The plate and coffee cup were made by @Anette_Henningson

6 Likes

Being quarantined has made me start baking again.

I used the recipe on the king Arthur flour website and glazed then with a basic vanilla sugar glaze.

8 Likes

Donut pan from King Arthur as well?

Pancakes on Breakfast For Supper Sunday.

Crappy stack pic

Uses a modified version of Pete’s recipe.

3 Likes

No, we have some silicone donut molds that are way easier than a pan when trying to get them out in one piece.

2 Likes

Baked eggplant parmigiana with homemade marinara and garlic mozzarella breadcrumbs. A Purple Carrot recipe which I like better than the traditional fried and smothered version.

Served with lemon basil tricolor pearl couscous which I first sautéed in a little butter (Rice-a-Roni style).

6 Likes

Pride Potluck - Beef and Barley Crockpot ala Capt

7 Likes

Vegan sietan asada tacos with radish salsa and lime rice. Another Purple Carrot recipe which is now on our keeper list.

Delicious and filling (while under 600 calories), but the corn tortillas tend to fall apart: we’ll likely use “street taco” sized flour tortillas next time.

Adding lime zest to plain white rice transforms it into a fragrant, tasty side dish.

4 Likes

That beef and barley was delicious! Can I get the recipe?

3 lbs beef chunks
1 lb barley
1/3 lb sliced carrots
1/2 small can tomato paste
About 2 tsps beef boullion (to taste)
1 onion
Canned mushrooms
1 Guinness
Water to fill (about 2 bottles worth)
Garlic powder and celery salt to taste

Normal crockpot cooking times. He put it on around 12:30 on high, and it was done by the potluck at 6.

5 Likes

This was amazing. :grin:

1 Like

Lemon blueberry galette - made quick and easy by using Pillsbury sheet crescent dough. The sheet dough is like the regular crescent dough, but without the perforations.

This goes together quick: zesting the lemon was probably the most labor-intensive part.

Easy Lemon Blueberry Galette
—-
Zest of one lemon
1/2 cup brown sugar
2T corn starch
2 cups blueberries (about 11 oz)
1 pkg Pillsbury sheet crescent dough
1 T butter, diced small
One egg, scrambled
2 tsp granulated sugar (turbinado is nice, plain white sugar works)

Preheat oven to 375.

Filling: Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl, then add blueberries and toss until well combined.

Place sheet dough on parchment paper on a cookie sheet or full sheet pan. Stretch dough somewhat to make a little more square. Fix any holes.

Dump the filling onto dough and spread out, leaving about 2” around the edges. Filling will be a bit tall - just press to consolidate and mound up a bit in the center. Place butter cubes across top of filling.

Fold two adjacent sides of the dough over the top, then fold in corner. Repeat with remaining sides.

Brush dough with egg, then sprinkle sugar on top of crust.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until “golden brown and delicious” (as Alton Brown used to say).

Let cool, then serve with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, a dusting of powdered sugar, or just as-is.

Letting it cool a good 30 minutes first will allow the cornstarch to firm up, making serving much easier.

I asked my wife if the result was four servings or six: we decided on four :).

4 Likes

Golden brown is, indeed, the color of delicious.

3 Likes

Cooking some of Dr. Bakers Cornell chicken on the chimenea tonight.

2 Likes