What's Cooking? January 2022

Make us drool with your successful dishes. We’ll commiserate with your failures.

Pics/recipes appreciated!

2 Likes

Made spinach and Oaxaca cheese enchiladas and baked then in my chimenea. They got a great smokey flavor and cooked in about 20 minutes.

7 Likes

Shrimp po’ boy night with @Scott_Blevins and @NickWebb.

• Homemade NOLA-syle rolls. These are slightly chewy, like you’d expect of a baguette, which is great for a seafood po’ boy. I use a different hoagie recipe for Philly Cheesesteak, but it isn’t chewy. Both are enriched doughs. But the NOLA roll uses bread flour instead of AP, which probaby accounts for the difference in texture.
  • Nick made the remoulade.
  • The shrimp stay crispy-crunchy because the beer batter uses White Lily flour (low protein) and is kept very cold before the frying.
6 Likes

Been trying a No Sugar No Grain way of eating and this sausage crust deep dish Chicago style pizza was a recipe that popped up.

Meat and cheese, I see nothing wrong with that!

6 Likes

Being from Chicago, this really gets my attention, lol!

I’ve done meatza before, but not a deep dish so I have to ask…

I have found that you have to be careful with the selection of sausage that you use because it can easily overpower the other topping flavors.
Did that happen with the deep dish version?

There was enough cheese to counteract that, and I threw in pepperoni for good measure :grin:.

2 Likes

Nice!!
Thank you!

Bringing the Wheat to Settlers of Catan tonight.

6 Likes

Cinnamon pecan dessert tamales.

6 Likes

@Scott_Blevins and I tackled our first stamped cookies. Basically, Nick home from college = me cooking.

10 Likes

Bánh Tráng Nướng, also known as Vietnamese pizza.

It’s a quick and awesome snack.

Spring roll rice paper, dry not soaked
Chili oil
1/2 a beaten egg
Bean sprouts
Green onion
A small amount of mozzarella

Cook in a non stick pan on medium until the rice paper is crispy and the egg is mostly set.

Top with Sriracha and kewpie mayo

6 Likes

Didn’t get pics, but I made a meat-free meatloaf that turned out quite good.

Meat Free Meatloaf

1 lb Beyond Beef (ground)
1 lb Impossible Sausage (savory, but the spicy is also good)
1 cup oatmeal
1 egg
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 tsp Herbes de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
1 Tbl Worchestershire Sauce

Combine all but catsup (hands works best) until well blended. Shape into a loaf. Baste with catsup and bake @350 for 50 minutes.

For a kicked-up, spicy version, use the spicy style meatless sausage and baste with Whataburger Spicy catsup or catsup with some sriracha (aka awesome sauce) mixed in.

4 Likes

I recently started getting Meals on Wheels. I’m glad to have the service but the dinners are which makes a lot of sense some people don’t like spicy lot of people are in low salt diets so I’ve been adapting things.

I toward the end of last week one of my generals had cook with ground meat that apparently we’re supposed to go a loose hamburger. I had leftovers so I didn’t need it that day I opened up the try some onions in stock item and added some chopped up spinach then I how did the ground meat I then mixed it in a bowl and cheddar cheese and mixed it real well. I didn’t put it into the fridge to chill down before making eight balls of the filling. Took out a package of crescent rolls and I and I made the crescent rolls into eight squares instead of 8 triangles. I put the meat in the middle of them and folded it over and then I baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes. I got eight little

3 Likes

3 Likes

Anybody got a local supplier for this kind of thing?

figured somewhere like Ace Mart, but I guess no pastry chefs go there… :man_shrugging:

They really didn’t have that it a smart? Which one did you go to?

In any case, did you try the US Foods Chef store on Alpha and Midway?

Usually go to the one on Forest & Webb Chapel.
I haven’t actually walked in anywhere & asked for this yet; tried websites for a clue first, and they (Ace Mart nor US Food Chef) don’t appear to stock this kind of thing that I can find… Figured I’d toss a ask out here before I start annoying employees with dumb questions…

Fair enough, I usually the go to the forest or the one-off Ross.

In a way I’m kind of surprised that they wouldn’t have anything like that on the website but at the same time I’ve noticed that the last couple of years, since everyone’s been working from home, websites don’t seem to get updated like they used to, lol!

1 Like

The Chef store doesn’t really have anything listed on their website. They might have it but I dont remember seeing it. I wasn’t exactly looking for it either.

1 Like