What type of hinge is this?

Can anyone tell me what type of hinge this is? Thanks

1 Like

Double acting?

1 Like

2 Likes

+1 on what Brian said…

Cabinet overlay hinge. Designed so that the door moves out of the way when opened, giving better access to the interior. Mounts on the inside of the door so the hinge is out of view when the door is closed.

1 Like

I would vote with the double acting crowd. The middle piece appears to have a pivot point at each end. Are the two parts that attach to the cabinet & door U shaped or L shaped? Also, is that the front of the door or the inside? I’m leaning toward it being the front of the door and the hinge lets the door swing 270 degrees so that it can fold back against the side of the cabinet.

If nothing else, it is a rare style and I’d hate to be tasked with finding a replacement!

Thank you everyone!! If it helps, this is actually free standing dollhouse walls that fold both ways

1 Like

Does it move in the two places highlighted below?

1 Like

No, no movement up and down; however, it will fold side to side in both directions,
So there is flexibility in how the rooms of the dollhouse are set up each time.

I still think “double acting”.

2 Likes

I’m not clever enough (more Luddite) but can’t more Google-fu Master types do at Google Image search? Then click on the image to get name and supplier?

1 Like

I’d call it a full mortise, [double action / dual action / double acting], cabinet hinge

And, not knowing what you’re doing with it, I’d suggest just using a soss hinge instead. It’s a personal preference thing, but I like the way they look better.

1 Like

Calling @John_Marlow. Since this is for a dollhouse, it probably lives in the land of miniatures frequented by Chris Marlow. If you are needing a replacement, she may know of specialty hardware suppliers who might carry very small double acting hinges. I looked but found none.

1 Like

As opposed to a type of hinge, this is a brand of hinge, right?

I think that like Kleenex, it started as a brand, but is now just the generic name for that type of hinge.

1 Like

A soss hinge is designed to be placed on the edge of a board and allow the join to into a flat surface, like a leaf on a table.

The double hinge show here is designed to allow folding of the pieces completely from one surface to the opposite side.

1 Like

They make 270 degree soss hinges - I’ve used them for this exact purpose, having the door swing back flush against the side of the box.

It makes the final fitment of the door much easier, and they’re about a billion times easier to install from a mortising perspective.

1 Like

Thank you so much!!

I’m pretty sure the hinge on the photo swing 360. Can a soss do that?

I’ve never bought or used one, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if one exists. Soss (and the various knockoffs) make damn near every kind of hinge you can imagine.

They’re probably harder to find here in the US than they are in Europe where they’re way more popular, but I’d be surprised if they’re not made.