What trips the Saw Stop?

Also, for accuracy’s sake, using a dado stack on Saw Stop would, of course, not trip trip the saw. It is generally disallowed because it requires a different brake cartridge and we don’t typically teach how to change them.

4 Likes

Thanks. I have clarified the wiki.

1 Like

There was gold leaf either in the paint or on the frame iirc from the example mentioned in the class I took friday

3 Likes

My current teaching:

Wet wood
Wet paint
Wet glue
Gold leafing
Laser cut wood
Metal
Pressure treated wood

We do not allow members to take test cuts or disable the ‘finger saver technology’ as there’s too much of a possibility of someone turning it off and forgetting to turn it back on. If you have concerns, use the delta.

Some one asked me recently if certain plastics would trip the saw… Since some plastics can carry an electrostatic charge, it certainly seems possible that they could trigger the sawstop. Anyone have any guesses on that?

5 Likes

Thanks for the info. I updated the wiki page.

1 Like

My understanding, electric current through the blade= bad time. I may be getting this backwards but I was pretty sure the other tablesaw was the one allowed to cut plastic.

1 Like

As I understand it, the bypass is only for that one run (have to hold the key to engage bypass) and once the blade is shut off it reengages automatically. I do agree too much risk regardless. SawStop does list plastics as able to be cut, but for the most part woodshop doesn’t allow plastics on any machine (CNC router after advanced CNC is the only exception I can recall).

3 Likes

Acrylic mrror or anti static uhmw also don’t like sawstops…

3 Likes

If that’s mylar on the mirror backing or the anti-static surface then it’s conductive. Conductive = trips the sawstop.

2 Likes

According to a fellow framer friend that has one of those gadget saws - it isn’t the painted wood, but if the wood has a gold or silver leaf finish - that can conduct and ruin your day. In his case, he is about 2 hours southwest of the the city, so he keeps a spare.

3 Likes

no mylar on the anti static uhmw must be something in the material like carbon perhaps… anti static materials are supposed to have NON conductive properties i thought, but for whatever reason I just know it doesn’t work. Another one thats not been mentioned is the cardboard corner gaurds for pallets.(they make them out of recycled materials and they usually contain metal fragments…)

2 Likes

Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene ?

Yes Exactly, Polyethylene, which normally has no problem whatsoever on the sawstop. I don’t really know if it has mylar, but there is definately no film on the material.
I was looking, and they apparently do add carbon in order to make it anti static UHMW, so it must be the carbon. (That one was news to me because i hadn’t tried cutting it yet…lol)

1 Like

Thanks for updating the info. I have updated the wiki list.

It just seems like there should also be a list posted in the Woodshop also … with the disclaimer, of course, that the list may not be all-inclusive.

1 Like

It’s actually the opposite. Anti-static materials are conductive so they can dissipate the static charge and dissipate it.

Anti-static pipes avoid static buildup either with conducting additives added to the plastic or a coil (or line) of highly conducting wire (typically something like copper) running through them. They can usually be connected to ground at intervals as well.

1 Like

Mine activated cutting 1/2" expanded PVC. It was black, the core was slightly expanded, maybe they have carbon black to get the color. I was inches away from cutting carbon fiber before realizing my mistake, started cutting PVC and WHAM, activated. It wasn’t right away, probably about 50 foot had been cut already.

Not sure, was pretty disappointed. This is the 3rd false positive, with one activation saving me. Going to send all my cartridges in for them to gather data.

There is a list in the woodshop tool rules (on woodshop wiki page). https://dallasmakerspace.org/w/images/5/5f/Woodshop_Rules_03_02_2022.pdf on page 6:

Sawstop may trigger when exposed to anything conductive while running. Known materials that
will trigger the sawstop are:
 Charred wood - from fire, laser, etc …
 Laser-cut wood (see above)
 Chemically treated lumber / pressure-treated wood
 Wet lumber
 Green wood
 Wet paint or wet glue
 Foil-laminated or metal-leafed wood (like some picture frames)
 Metal shards (staples, etc…)
 Cardboard corner guards (usually contain recycled metal fragments)
 Any metal in proximity to the blade … the saw sled, rulers, squares, etc.
 Graphite cloth
 Anti-static Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene (contains carbon particles to
make it anti-static)

Don’t know where it came from.

It was posted in 2018, with inputs from the class material, and Talk - along with the invitation for people to edit/correct/modify it as appropriate.

If I cut PVC on my bandsaw I have a heck of a time with the dust because of the static generated by the cutting. I’m not surprised it would trigger the saw.

1 Like