What kind of wood is this?!?

I found this wood in the back of the woodshop with the scraps. Does anyone know what type of wood it is? Any and all help is much appreciated!

1 Like

Looks like the crepe myrtle wood I have here at home.

I have 3 short, but bigger diameter pieces at home that I can bring in if someone would like to turn it.

Does Crepe Myrtle turn well? I have some HUGE (appx 35 foot tall with branches approaching a foot in diameter) ones in my yard.

@Adam_Oas I haven’t tried it, but think it should turn very well. It grows slowly, it’s grain is uniform and the wood seems forgiving.

Branches a foot in diameter?? that is pretty amazing. Lets try it.

Crepe Myrle turns and works very well. It generally is tight and straight grained, and a little harder then cherry. If you have a piece with curly grain, it will tend to tear out (like any other curly grained wood). Over all a very nice wood to work with as are most ornamentals.

4 Likes

I would love to have one of your Crepe Myrtle pieces if you are planning on cutting some. I will turn it into a bowl or maybe make some pens from it if the wood is spalted or has some interesting grain.

The only problem I’ve found with turning Crepe Myrtle is the lack of character in the wood, rather bland. Does turn well though

I just assaulted (with a reciprocal saw no less) a massive crepe that had no tending for probably 10 years. I was not the victor nor was the crepe. We were equally suited at our chosen war. I will see what pieces I have left from the assault. I am not proud of that battle.

I’m on a warpath with my backyard. If anyone wants to cut down random things that are mostly scrub come on down…bring your swimsuit and we will make a day of it.

1 Like

If you want it, I’ve got a big dog stihl weedeater with a brush blade on it you’re welcome to use.

1 Like

I think I need a goat and or napalm at this point.
But thank you - I really do appreciate it.

Talking about crepe myrtle, this is a branch from the one that is older than me
in my front flower bed

2 Likes