What kind of diode is this

Any chance you got a schematic?
1N4001 - 50v @ 1a
1N5400 - 50v @ 3a

Naw #robot controller #fanuc-ip-fml

The board is 24 volt i believe

Have you tried “{board model} diode blew up” with Google?

While that might work with some things Fanuc seems to be a dark hole where nothing is ever documented.

It doesn’t hurt to try, but if it works I’ll be surprised.

No results found for “{board model} diode blew up”.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!! Do not use 1N400x they most likely not carry the current!!
This is a VERY BAD IDEA.
This is not hard call (phone) Fanuc and ask them for a replacement part (number and price) then buy a replacement form
Avnet, etc.
fins
Cris H.

BTW when you have them on the phone see if you can talk them out of the print/schematic. say please. normally this works for me.

Also just replacing the diode is not very good as you first need to figure out way the damn thing blew up in the first place. (two reasons; over voltage, or over current)

I no longer feel attmepting to fix the old controller is worth it…without schematics and no possibilty of replacement parts, i am giving up on the old thing and plan to use th cabinet transformers cooling units and disconnect for building a robot controller using mesa hardware and stmbl servo drives running linux cnc…i am now directing all of my efforts in this direction, i thank you all very much for your input.

Duh, in electronics you can not ASSUME!

Is it known bad?

That’s a regular silicon diode and as above, replace it with a generic of some sort, rated at least 3 amps. Looking at that old board, I’m thinking it may be there for protection from reverse power application to the board. Can’t think of much other use for a single diode like that. You could look to see how it’s placed in the circuit and if that’s the case, then removing it would fix the board if the diode has failed shorted. Of course you would lose the reverse voltage protection.

Just a guess. Clip one of the leads and see if the board works.