What is the max allowable thickness for cuttin Delrin on the lasers?

The wiki says it’s safe-ish and that “thin” is the max cuttable Amount. Can anyone please define “thin”?

I don’t know about ‘allowable’ but I regularly and safely cut 1/2" on mine. HOWEVER, it can’t be done all at once. it has to be done in multiple passes and changing the depth. It is a pet peeve that I see people just set stuff to 100% power (100 watts?) and 1% speed and expect it to cut all at once and not catch fire.

1 Like

Thanks Nick! 1/2 was the max I was possibly going to use (for a friend with a project). thanks for the advice on the multiple passes. It feels like a lot of work so I’m just going to convince them to join :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cool! let them do their own work!

1 Like

Our lasers are set to output 70% max power. Evidently the demand on the tube above 70% power provides diminishing returns on the output results. Setting the Min/Max power to 100% in RDWorks provides no better output than setting to 70%.

But I get your point. Multiple passes are called for rather than using 1 mm speed.

1 Like

@Lordrook - notice Nick’s comment about changing the depth between the cuts. I suspect this is an important part of getting a vertical cut.

2 Likes

actually the cut will be a bit ragged. lasers generally have a fixed focal length and the beam starts to spread out if you are out of focus the deeper you go. fortunately, the raggedness is blow the top service so it can be ground flat and not affect the overall important surface.

2 Likes