What is the longest length of 2x4 that can be planed and jointed on DMS equipment?

What is the longest length of 2x4 that can be planed and jointed on DMS equipment? I think this was mentioned in woodshop training but I’ve forgotten.

Building a backyard fort for the kiddos and wanting the boards to be square.

I think that the limit would depend on the setup of where the other machines are, and what is in the way on both ends. Off of the top of my head (without having a chance to go and actually measure) something like 14 ft maybe? @Team_Woodshop double check me on this

The longest I’ve personally squared is 14’x14". It took moving some stuff temporarily in the woodshop, but it was possible. Maximum width on the jointer is 12". The planer is 20" the maximum length is determined by the in/outfeed area available. I would recommend coming to do this job during non-peak hours, typically 10pm-10am.

3 Likes

I’d bring a couple of friends to aid in the infeed/outfeed.

An outfeed stand or two would also help. We don’t have any dedicated outfeed supports at DMS but they are easy to cobble together with a sawhorse, some plywood and perhaps a section of PVC pipe to make the top slipperier.

1 Like

There are A-frame pedestal rollers on the wall behind the bandsaws.

1 Like

Much I dislike suggesting cross-pollination, there are feed stands in the metal working areas. You know the drill – just put it back.

Last time I needed them I could only find one…

Good to know. Thanks.