What is Dallas Makerspace to you?

Different people have different understandings of Dallas Makerspace and, before I go any further, none of them are more valid than the others. Every passionate member I know has their vision about what they want Dallas Makerspace to be, so I think a fun exercise would be to pose the question to talk.

DISCLAIMER: This is not an invitation for you barbarians to turn another thread into the thunderdome. The Blood God isn’t so starved that he needs blood from every thread about DMS. I would prefer that everyone’s idea be given the respect it deserves, whether they see DMS as just a community workshop or something different.

I’ll go first:

My vision of the makerspace is a town square. If I had to pick one thing that plagues American society more than anything, it would be the lack of basic areas where most people in a given community converge with each other. The geniuses who created zoning laws that separate businesses, workplaces and housing have created a heavily atomized society full of small social bubbles.

Town squares nowadays are roads for cars and before that they were roads for walking or traveling by horse, but there was also another model where the town square was an actual social area. Town meetings, social events, projects and so forth were often held there. Socrates gave his lectures in the town square marketplace and it would be here that ideas and cultural exchange would mix together.

The ancient greek word for “marketplace” or “town square” is “agora”, so I call this model of a makerspace the agoric model. I want something like the greek town squares with both machines and occasional artisan booths.

What do yall think?

2 Likes

Zoning laws also keep liquor stores and strip clubs from being catty-corner to elementary schools and churches so don’t discount them. Visit Houston for examples.

I don’t view DMS as a town square at all. While I think open expression should be welcome (and DMS is one of the most open venues for non-traditional expression I’ve ever seen in my life), I don’t think that should be the focus. Talk notwithstanding, I spend little time “expressing” at DMS.

We all need to spend a lot more time making shit and less time bitching about politics or social issues. Apparently we can all do that on Twitter now. Let’s go build some shit.

Edit to add: There are folks at DMS with whom I think I fundamentally disagree on some “stuff” but I value them as community members and admire their skills. I think more personal interaction, which would foster dialog, would be really beneficial to reaching some common ground that results in daily civility, even if it never resulted in complete agreement (which is impossible in a group our size). Potluck anyone?

3 Likes

Potluck anyone. I can call in a favor of my good friend the pitmaster, brisket and turkey breast. Just tell me when.

3 Likes

Once we are fully back in order, I can maybe get 7-Eleven’s community outreach to provide Big Bites and Slurpees for an Open-House. But it will need to be a big annual community event, not the woodshop folks looking for free weekend meal :wink:

I talked to my leadership about this several years ago and they were on board, but then my heart thing happened and after that another global thing happened but I forget what it was.

3 Likes

This is off-topic, but

I would rather have to fight a 100-man clone army of Jared Fogles parachuting with weaponized 5 dollar footlongs on the way to elementary schools every day than continue watching the entire world around me and everything interesting get slowly consumed by a growing suburban hellscape tumor of similar looking houses with similar looking lawns and people who stay indoors because everything interesting outside is 15 minutes away by car. I like the idea of being able to walk to game stores or the grocery store on foot. It’s the zoning laws that promote the hellification of our reality.

Im not discounting zoning laws. I’m very much in favor of not having a chemical factory hotdropped next door out of nowhere, but the way we do things in modern American zoning laws are very very stupid. There’s a reason why all of the high-priced areas in every city are the most walkable ones with condominiums, apartments, homes, etc mixed in with businesses.

1 Like

Ive been pondering another get together and making more brisket. Food tends to bring people together.

9 Likes

Yeah. Because people with actual jobs don’t ‘jack business owners making a bank run at the end of the night.

I think you and I disagree on something fundamental. You think all people are equal. I don’t. People are quite UNequal in their respect for others, their respect for life and their respect for hard work.

Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t draw those lines on any predictable boundaries. But in any neighborhood, whether it’s bougie suburban Maryland where I grew up (with its own problem areas) or Southeast DC miles away from there, we all all know where not to go.

Builders don’t build there. Those residents choose their own situation and destiny. Until people help themselves I’m not very inclined to spend my own time and treasure to help them.

I have no idea what you are saying here. I don’t even know what this has to do with good urban planning. I am confused.

But, again, this is off-topic so it doesnt really matter.

1 Like

Let’s take it offline next time we see each other. Talk isn’t a great place for any rational discussion if only for the delay.

Let me know, I will buy a couple briskets to add to the meat pile. Would love to see a gathering around a feast again at DMS. Some of the best times are just hanging out and making new friends into good friends!

4 Likes

If we do indeed do a potluck and I can make it this year, I’d be happy to add some Carnitas and tomatillo salsa to that mix.

2 Likes

Get ready to take out a second mortgage.

1 Like

Imho, a makerspace is an incubator, for just about anything you can imagine, given the hardware (tools) and software (fellow members’ knowledge-sharing) available to you.

At the risk of keeping this off-topic, community and urban planning is an underused discipline when ‘planning’ communities. Want to blame someone for your hellscape? Direct your attention to for-profit developers, and the endless city councils, town councils that invariably end up the the developers’ ‘hip pockets’.

On-topic…if a potluck is scheduled during a time with no personal scheduling conflicts, I will happily contribute to the cause with a side dish. Unfortunately, my recent ‘schedule conflict streak’ with cool DMS events shows no signs of abating.

Off topic… In all seriousness, I find it a waste of time to blame individuals or individual groups of people. This is all part of a wider system and creating positive change imo requires the perspective at the front-and-center.

On topic… incubator sounds interesting. I like to think of incubators as a part of an agoric makerspace.

Capt has volunteered as… um… Event Coordinator?? Something like that. We’re considering a 4th of July thing. I’ll have to ask him tonight, but I think I recommended Sunday for the meet-up and potluck.

To me, it’s a community. I joined last year and have some really great folks. I learned a bunch of neat skillsets, and I really value whenever random folks make comments on what I am doing/making and offering advice/opinions. Conceptually, I also see markerspace as a town square (or maybe that pub from the old tv show), where we help each other out if there is a need.

I also see it as a way to reach out and give back to the bigger community. For example, the board let me use the space to make wood cars for a bunch of my cub scouts and I am eternally grateful for that. As another example, there’s an upcoming event where we get to design paper bags to give out to senior and I am really looking forward to that.

Finally, to appease the Blood God of the Thunderdome, zoning is good, zoning is bad, Zoning Zoning Zoning!

3 Likes

This statement is objectively true and unassailable.

Praise the Blood God!

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to reply to this for a few days. I didn’t expect the plot twist of it becoming a zoning laws discussion. Gotta love DMS. lolll

Anyway, when I gave tours I would always tell people that I came to DMS for the classes and stayed for the community. It’s still true. I have taken a grand total of three classes at DMS, taught a small handful, hosted Fiberfrolic a few times and made exactly zero things at the space (knitting at Fiberfrolic aside)

The community is my absolute favorite part. Lord knows yall can be infuriating as hell at times, and I think there is a lot to be improved upon, however I still love it and I’m still thrilled to be here.

Oh, and I did meet my husband here so that didn’t hurt my opinion :wink:

So to me, DMS is a community. Diverse, OPINIONATED, engaging, caring (even if just enough to argue at times. Arguing counts as caring.) and with a shared interest in doing things. I love that we all come from a vast collection of backgrounds and jobs, we all have different skills and interests, and mostly we are cool to just hang out or say hello in the hallway.

I love it.

4 Likes

I joined DMS some 6 years ago because it gives me a place to teach classes and share the things I like to do. I also get to see other people’s wonderful creations and get inspired. And there is always something new to learn. So I guess I view DMS as a sort of artist’s collective with cool tools and people who know what to do with them

2 Likes